Looking for support

Nia T.
on 4/8/19 12:57 am

I used to lurk here when I was pre-op and post-op but never posted. I saw many, many posts back then about regain and told myself it would never happen to me. I never did get down to a normal BMI that my surgeon wanted, I got down to 135, still overweight category for a 5 foot woman. Little by little as the years went by I would gain a little weight and say I won't go over 150, I won't go over 160 and my ultimate and never going to go there is I won't ever go up to 180 which was my 3rd mini goal weight post op as it was my lowest adult weight. Well, here I am at 175 and I will NOT go up to 180 ? I am searching high and low for lots of motivation, I've had a roller coaster of life events that led to my weight gain. Today, I'm going back to basics, this is my truth and it feels so good to let it out. Thank you for reading.

VSG April 2, 2015

Highest Weight: 255

Start liquid diet: 232

Surgery Day: 208

Lowest Weight: 135 (April 2016)

Partlypollyanna
on 4/8/19 5:21 am
RNY on 02/14/18

If you're not already, consider participating in one of the menu threads. They really help with focus and accountability!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Gina 22 years out
on 4/8/19 5:40 am, edited 4/7/19 10:47 pm - Burleson, TX

NIA - welcome back! You have made a very important step, by just being here...

I dare say we ALL were going to "perfect post ops". I know that was certainly MY plan...but it sure did NOT work out that way...and I take FULL ownership!!

You CAN do this! You WILL do this! You can do it ALONE, because it is ultimately up to YOU - HOWEVER, everything is so much harder, alone, so DON'T do it alone !!!

You will loads of support here. You will also find lots of sage advice. Will you ALWAYS like what you hear? Probably not. But take it, with the SUPPORT offered, behind it, and APPLY it, and I bet you will be apply, with the results...

You say you are going "back to basics". What, exactly, are you doing?

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Willie H.
on 4/8/19 7:35 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Just don't get impatient and try to lose it all at once-really take one day at a time and know that one week, two weeks from now you'll be in a better place, a few pounds lighter. What helps for me when I go off plan and need to restart is to have first an immediate goal, then a hourly goal, then a daily goal, weekly and then so forth.

In the past I always had to start on a Monday, then If i messed up I waited to the next Monday (sick I know!) Now, I just restart right away. Log in what I last ate, exercise and eat properly. Use the tools you were given-drinking water, more protein, getting active, like recording what you have eaten, even if what you have eaten was bad. It's all about accountability to ourselves. It is NOT easy, but it IS necessary. And really-no more next Monday, no more procrastination-it's a killer!! I wish you well!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

VSGAnn2014
on 4/8/19 8:04 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Nia, you CAN do this! :)

Perhaps it would be useful right now to consider that you're looking to build a very healthy lifestyle (nutrition, exercise, water, meds and supplements) that will help you lose weight and then maintain your weight long-term.

Just thinking of losing weight due to "a diet" might make the prospect seem like a temporary emergency. And as you already know, that's not what we signed up for. Right? :)

It's time to change your life. Again. :) 'Cause that's how life works. :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

jmk187
on 4/8/19 4:27 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

One thing i learned in Eating Disorder treatment is We tell ourselves "tomorrow I will get back on track". Knowing full well we are lying to ourselves. Relapses will Happen..It's what you do after that is the most important thing. You don't have to wait until tomorrow..You can get back on track at your next feeding. Also if you don't think you can handle exorcise right now, focus on your food. I call it my ED Brain but others call it their "fat brain". It will trick you. We all know that if we eat what our programs taught us, The weight will naturally normalize. But our ED Brains tell us that we need to exorcise and burn tons of calories and/or starve ourselves, go on crash diets that will lead to discouragement, Hunger, and going back to old ways.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Kathy S.
on 4/9/19 5:17 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello Nia,

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130