Creative ways to use protein powder

TheWombat
on 3/29/19 12:40 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Before surgery I often used protein powder in low-calories "smoothies". But after surgery, I found I really disliked the taste of every one I tried. At my dietician's suggestion, I tried using only half the normal amount, which made the taste more palatable. However, that resulted in a much lower protein-to-calorie ratio, so my "smoothies" were no longer an ideal way to get protein in. (I'm a vegan, and while I love lentils and tofu, it's nice to have a little variety!)

But now I have discovered two new (to me) ways to use the protein powder, and I wanted to share them.

1. I add it to black coffee (stir well!). The bitterness of the coffee masks the taste of the protein powder, and the powder acts like a "creamer". I've never been much of a coffee drinker but adding a cup a day to my diet seems reasonable. An added bonus for me is that the coffee keeps me regular.
  2. I add chocolate flavoured protein powder to ho****er for a "hot chocolate". The heat seems to mask the taste of the powder, leaving only the chocolate flavour. OK, it doesn't taste exactly like hot chocolate, but it is creamy and satisfying. I could add some stevia if i wanted it to be a little sweeter. Perhaps a touch of cinnamon too.

Do you have any interesting ways to use protein powder?

The Salty Hag
on 3/29/19 1:11 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I will sometimes still put half a scoop into yogurt for a protein boost. I know there are non-dairy yogurts, but not sure how similar they may be to dairy yogurt and how well that idea would work. That's all I've got besides the two you mentioned.

Eggface has recipes for protein ice cream on her site. Maybe some may be vegan friendly?

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

TheWombat
on 3/29/19 5:38 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I would love to find vegan protein ice "cream". I'll check it out.

Partlypollyanna
on 3/29/19 4:27 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I've used it protein powder in sugar free pudding, more frequently I've used RtD shakes though. Might work the same if you prepared the shake and then added to the SF pudding?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

NYMom222
on 3/29/19 4:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I do both of those beverages ... I make pumpkin muffins which if you use a flax egg would be vegan. Combo of oatmeal and protein powder as base.

Tonight I made truffles- peanut butter-warmed so mixable, protein powder, I used SF syrup and made a very thick dough. Rolled into balls and into PB2 powder. Refrigerate.

Make protein pudding with SF pudding mix. 2 cups protein shake to one box pudding mix. You can add extra protein powder to get the macros you want. I usually use cashew milk.

You might want to check out @workweeklunch on IG. I use her recipe service. Very simple delicious recipes and she tells you how to make everyone of them vegan. I find her recipes very adaptable to my needs.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valerie G.
on 3/31/19 9:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

When I did protein powders my first year or so, I learned that whey was the devil to my digestive tract, even isolated whey! I switched to egg white protein and not only did I lose the GI distress, but I also discovered that there was little to no aftertaste!

My real protein discovery, though, was ricotta cheese. It has 7g in a little quarter cup. I started eating it regularly every day for snacks. You can add a little sauce and cheese for the inside of stuffed shells or mix with instant pudding and a little milk for a protein pudding snack. Ricotta was my gateway food to getting off of the protein drinks for good.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

dreamer1234
on 3/31/19 2:51 pm

i got tired of using the protein powder but found that if i take the chocolate flavor and put it in a blender with skim milk, a few ice cubes and either a TBS of low fat peanut butter or 1/2 of a banana or even a little de-caf coffee it taste pretty good esp when i used the peanut butter. i think maybe even a fresh strawberry in it would be pretty good. good luck

Donna L.
on 4/1/19 9:10 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I miss mine with SF jello and cottage cheese for a protein-y 'dessert.' I try not to eat many sweets, but that is a better texture than jello for me.

I started doing collagen and protein in my coffee this week, mostly to help with my hair and nails being brittle since surgery despite all my tests being good. We'll seeee if it helps.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

TheWombat
on 4/3/19 2:36 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

To my surprise, my nails have become waaaayyyy stronger since surgery. Probably because I'm taking vitamins for the first time in decades, and getting enough protein.

siberiancat
on 4/2/19 9:18 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm 10 years post RNY. For the last 8-9 years, I have a hot protein drink every morning for breakfast. I use Chocolate BlueBonnet whey isolate protein powder (Amazon). I put the protein powder in a mug and add a little cold water and 1 ounce of SF syrup and stir until smooth - then add boiling ho****er while stirring.

I vary the SF syrups, Cinnamon Dolce Latte, Caramel, Kahlua, Toffee, coconut, Coffee, Peppermint Paddy, Pumpkin pie, etc. Torani or DiVinci syrups have best flavor, in my opinion.

For supper about 6 nights a week I have 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling), one scoop vanilla Protein Powder, pumpkin pie spice, one cup Fage 0% plain yogurt and one ounce of Cinnamon and one ounce Caramel sugar free syrup. Stir it all up and sprinkle Cinnamon on top. Then I thinly slice a Fugi apple and dip apple slices into my pumpkin mix. It sets well on my little pouch (2-3 ounce at EJD done this year).

I have many gut sensitivities - I eat the same food at most every meal just because I know what to expect afterwards. Kinda boring, but I'm OK with it.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery