Bypass or Sleeve? Surgery is in 10 days.

kairosgrammy
on 3/4/19 7:59 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 2, 2019 at 4:15 AM Pacific Time, tsulli24 wrote:

I am still uncertain which surgery I need to have. My BMI is 49. I have sleep apnea, elevated blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol. My eating weakness is sweets. I am concerned whether the drastic bypass is needed or if the sleeve will be sufficient. Thank you for any recommendations.

I would make your decision based on your current health. If you have GERD, do the bypass for sure. The surgeon may say all sorts of things but the best surgery if you already have GERD is RNY. If your sugar is just a bit elevated, either surgery is beneficial because of the weight loss. I, myself, did have RNY because of GERD issues and have lost around 145 lbs since surgery (Oct 2017) and just shy of 200 altogether so I would tend to recommend RNY because I've had a lot of success. I will say, that you might have a bit more food freedom with a VSG because I think you can eat a bit more down the road, you can occasionally have nsaids without fear and I don't think VSG tummies tend to be as picky as RNY tummies although mine has been fine. I seldom have issues with any kind of food. VSG is a bit less invasive than RNY but to be honest, once you remove 80% of your tummy, what is rerouting a bit of intestine?

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Corey150
on 3/4/19 9:19 am

I chose the RNY because I like sweets. Eating sugary foods can cause a dumping syndrome which is a good deterrent. Plus, my surgeon said that the RNY will reset your set point to a lower weight. I have read in several of the WLS groups I belong to on FaceBook that many VSGs convert to RNY so why go thru two surgeries. The RNY also will take more weight off on average than VSG.

i_am_insain1
on 3/5/19 7:57 am

I had RNY almost 20 years ago and it works to me the best than what was offered to me back then.

All health issues that I had back then never escalated to where I'd need more meds than less.

I'm happy to have just been able to have it done, because I was worried about the insurance issues that most (and some still are) had.

Good luck to you

You work the tool and the tool will work for you!