How much did you think about regain in the beginning?

Jester
on 2/12/19 1:21 pm
RNY on 03/21/16 with

I thought about it all the time from the beginning. I am almost 3 years out and I still think about it all the time.

Even during the weight loss phase, I was far more concerned with regain than with the weight loss. I new I would lose weight - after all I was a professional dieter like most of us here.

The most stressful time for me was transitioning to maintenance. My whole life I had either been gaining or losing. I had never been able to maintain a steady weight.

As the months went by and I remained at a steady weight, it was definitely validating in the sense that it COULD be done, but I never lost the fear that I would fall off the proverbial wagon.

I experienced by first regain over the holidays this year. It was "only" about 10-12 pounds, but it confirmed all of my fears - that regain was simply lurking around the corner for me.

I wouldn't say I obsess about it, but it is nearly constantly in the back of my mind. I know that I have to be vigilant for the rest of my life, or I will fall into old habits.

At this point, I know I can be successful. But I also know it will not happen magically, or without constant vigilance.

Erin T.
on 2/13/19 11:41 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I worried about it from day 1. But, I had been here on OH and in other communities so I knew it was a real possibility. Unfortunately, I found myself 18 months out from surgery with a real diagnosed eating disorder and many physical (and mental) struggles due to that.

I don't have a good answer. The concept of balance isn't easy to preach either, because we didn't get to 300lbs because we're good at balance. But, I think I would have liked to have known that it was a possibility - I truly felt blindsided because I thought I was just doing what I was supposed to do.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Partlypollyanna
on 2/14/19 6:16 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Thank you for sharing this; I agree we are not wired for balance and knowing we can go too far in either direction is definitely something we should be aware of and vigilant about.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Roselane
on 2/15/19 5:05 pm

I really appreciate you sharing this because underlying my post is a fear of an eating disorder. I had some disordered eating (not overeating, the other way) when I was young, so I am just trying to figure out what is normal and helpful and try to think that way! I have talked about this fear with my dietitian and asked her to check in with me about this to make sure I immediately identify if I start going in a bad direction. Fortunately, I seem to be feeling less concerned about regain since I first posted.

What you said about balance, truer words were never spoken!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

hollymom4
on 2/15/19 1:57 pm - joseph, OR

Im am one month also tomorrow. i last 20 in the first two weeks but since then i have only lost 5. i feel like im doing something wrong or just scared of going back to my orginal wieght.you are not alone !!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/16/19 8:45 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My first worry was that "I was such a diet failure that I didnot think RNY would work for me" - until I got under 250 pounds. And then I thought, I guess the dr was right. Then I thought about regain - in a paniced way.

Follow the advice here - track what you are eating and doing, as many here suggest.

Sharon