Is It Possible To Love Exercise After Bariatric Surgery?

Roselane
on 2/5/19 11:57 am

I just read that study and I personally did not find it convincing at all. In fact, this was the published conclusion:

ADF is a safe and tolerable approach to weight loss. ADF produced similar changes in weight, body composition, lipids, and Si at 8 weeks and did not appear to increase risk for weight regain 24 weeks after completing the intervention.

It was a pilot study to determine if ADF was safe. The sample size was was too small to conclude that ADF is better for weight loss, so I will only consider this for myself if more empirically robust research is eventually published.

Just my 2 cents!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/19 12:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hooray for science!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/19 12:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Respectfully, I suspect that the author has never been overweight in her life. I feel like the tone of this article is very patronizing; yes, I KNOW that exercise is good for you, but it's never been the "MAGIC PILL" to cure me of my obesity.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PrivateCitizen
on 2/5/19 11:39 pm

I think the 'exercise author' made a too limiting statement of 'fact' by claiming your only 'real' option for keeping your metabolism going...is exercise."

When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

We know that Bariatric surgery is a tool, exercise is a tool, the right nutrition is a tool, skin surgery is a tool, and mental attitude is the biggest tool to support success long term.

If 'timing meals or longer fasting' can ALSO be a tool in that "toolbox" because it helps metabolism and keep muscle mass, reduces skin surface?

Bariatric patients get a "gift" for their risk taking than no others get to have... that 'honeymoon year', when you experience not being hungry for maybe the first time ever, losing weight very fast, having real control, the social reward, great energy levels, cute new clothes!

Regular dieters, who seem to start over endlessly, all while following "eat less, move more, portion control" and still the failure rate is 95% for ALL diets over time. And we are at 74% obese as a nation in just 50 years? Diabetes quadrupled since 1980. If discovery that IF/ADF/longer fasting, or OMAD are being proven to succeed with many benefits? Why not seriously explore that as a tool for bariatrics after year one?

There is constant discovery and innovation in medicine and science. When I was 21 in 1971 the 'gold standard' was having your jaw wired shut! Everyone saw how actress Anne Margaret lost significant weight when she fell 20' off a stage prop, broke her jaw, and got down to her high school weight of 115...suddenly every woman in America was fascinated with this simple discovery. (I was a surgical dental OR nurse in the USN, I can tell you nothing about having your jaw wired shut, and wearing scissors around your neck for months to cut the wires if you vomited, so you don't aspirate & die, was really worth the lost weight. The stories I could tell!)

Fast forward to now and Autophagy didn't win a Nobel Prize in Medicine for being weakly done science. We need thorough studies on humans, not just anecdotal comments on several hundred patients by a T2 and kidney MD, no matter how effective his treatment, or even hundreds of before and after images by regular dieters who have lost significant weight. A plastic surgeon, possibly, is needed to design a controlled clinical study with proper 'over-time' images to show if indeed a 100+ weight loss by fasting does reduce need for skin surgery. If KEEPING to a timed meal program for 12-24 months after the bariatric honeymoon year results in less skin area needing to be removed? Or reduces the need for 2 or more skin surgeries that insurance will fight you on?

I tried asking in a group of devoted IF/fasters and was torn limb from limb for daring to doubt, to even question! and "who are you to demand proof?" I got sent many images of before and after, with shirts pulled up. The average person just believes and doesn't seem to need facts of hard evidence, 'doubting' gets your butt kicked out.

Everyone holds firmly to their belief of what is best, personal experience is one reason, and because changing your mind based on tightly held 'truths' is a difficult thing for humans. Attacking the new idea or message comes first. I am going to keep an open mind and over time we will learn.

The thousands of morbidly obese who will never qualify medically for bariatric surgery ONLY have a weight loss program to look to, and exercise if they can. T2 diabetes who are blind, have lost a foot, have open wounds, or with other scarring, severe heath, or mental issues that forbids safe bariatric. Plus those in a wheel chair already, and all the other reasons I listed suggest that a different approach to dieting could help. People should not be told only exercise 'works' when that is not true. They deserve to have the best options too.

califsleevin
on 2/7/19 2:02 pm - CA

"Fast forward to now and Autophagy didn't win a Nobel Prize in Medicine for being weakly done science. We need thorough studies on humans, not just anecdotal comments on several hundred patients by a T2 and kidney MD, no matter how effective his treatment, or even hundreds of before and after images by regular dieters who have lost significant weight. A plastic surgeon, possibly, is needed to design a controlled clinical study with proper 'over-time' images to show if indeed a 100+ weight loss by fasting does reduce need for skin surgery. If KEEPING to a timed meal program for 12-24 months after the bariatric honeymoon year results in less skin area needing to be removed? Or reduces the need for 2 or more skin surgeries that insurance will fight you on?"

I looked through that piece on Dr. Ohsumi, and don't see any reference as to how his work applies to this diet. It is, however, a fairly common tactic in promoting miracle diets or supplements to reference real scientific works that have little or no relevance as an attempt to throw some legitimacy onto the product that is being promoted.

"I tried asking in a group of devoted IF/fasters and was torn limb from limb for daring to doubt, to even question! and "who are you to demand proof?" I got sent many images of before and after, with shirts pulled up. The average person just believes and doesn't seem to need facts of hard evidence, 'doubting' gets your butt kicked out."

The same thing happens if you express skepticism or reference contrary research to followers of any of the popular diets out there- Atkins, keto, paleo - you name it. There will always be a few for which any particular program may work for longer than a few weeks (that's where the "*results not typical" fine print in the ads comes into play) but for the other 95+ % of the population, it is no different than any of all the other diets that they have tried over time.

Is there potentially some approach for long term weight loss and maintenance that works better than WLS? Sure, there might be - but the scientific world hasn't found it yet. One of the things that we noted when we first started looking seriously into WLS fifteen years ago was that most all of the various weight loss studies considered at most a year of loss and maintenance to be "success". Most who have been through the yo yo diet cycles have been through that.

If one of these new (or old, or "new" old - rediscovered) approaches makes sense to you and it is something that you can embrace and follow long term, then give it a shot, and you might be one of those lucky 5% that can make it work.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

califsleevin
on 2/7/19 4:15 pm - CA

Don't know why this thing doesn't edit, but anyway - an additional thought...

The idea of a fasting type of diet may well have some merit, as we evolved to eat when and where we could find or catch food and then may fast until the next opportunity, it does make some sense that there may be something within us that likes it. The counterpoint to that may be that the advent of agriculture showed that we liked regular eating even better.

Irrespective thoughts of our ancient makeup, what has been presented here about fasting diets doesn't show any particular merit that doesn't apply to dozens of other diet schemes.

OTH, the original posting link about exercise, while it is promoting the author's book and is somewhat superficial in this article (exercise may not be the only way to resist regain...), is fundamentally correct according to general scientific thought.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin