My favorite NSV so far!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/29/19 7:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

5 years post-op, and one year after strapping on roller skates for the first time since middle school, I skated in my first roller derby bout this weekend!!

I always thought derby skaters were totally badass, but given my lack of coordination, I thought I'd never stand a chance. But then I decided-- I would never know until I tried! So I gave it my best shot, I started out really wobbly, but I kept going and discovered I was having a TON of fun doing it.

Derby has been really great for working on regain (OMG so much cardio!) and body acceptance, because we have skaters of all shapes and sizes. I'm still working on my eating, and my goal is to order a smaller jersey by the end of the year, but derby has done WONDERS for helping me to really get comfortable with my body. I may be bigger than I was before I had my son, but I'm strong AF and that's what I see in the photos.

I've still got a lot of work to do on the health front, but derby has really helped with that, and it's also been the single most fun thing I've done in my whole life. I never could have done it at 300lb, so I'm very grateful for the opportunity my surgery gave me!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

The Salty Hag
on 1/29/19 9:09 am
RNY on 05/20/13

This is EVERYTHING, Julie. I love this!!! I've also always though roller derby skaters were so freaking cool and totally badass. I'd never have the lady balls to go through with this. **** at my age-one hit and I'd have a broken hip. I'd have been beyond wobbly even after a year. My lack of coordination is a family legend...LOL.

There aren't enough superlatives in existence to describe how freaking amazing you are, but kick-ass, fabulous, beautiful, and brave as hell pop into my mind right off the bat.

Keep on kicking ass, my gorgeous, sparkly friend.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/29/19 9:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The funny thing is, I always considered myself a super klutz too! I once broke my finger falling out of bed, if you can believe it :-D

I took one really good hit during the game where I went flying into the rink wall face-first, split my lip open, and nearly busted my glasses... but I got up and kept skating. I'm telling myself I got hit so hard because the opposing team thought I was a serious threat, LOL.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

The Salty Hag
on 1/29/19 9:31 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Damn, that sounds like a hard as**** I love your attitude about it, and it's probably not far from the truth!

I remember being 13 and running through the house trying to get to my room because I heard a song on the radio I liked. ( Foreshadowing...dun dun dun ) I fell and hurt my ankle pretty severely. I was the known "tripper" of the family, but we were all clumsy..haha. Later on, after my mother had taken me to the hospital and I was found to have stretched out all the ligaments in my ankle, gotten a splint and crutches, and we'd gone home, my mother said, expanding on our inside joke about my ability to trip for zero reason, quipped "That must have been some extra lumpy air!"

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/29/19 6:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

How did you walk after your finger injury???

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/19 10:06 am

U GO GRRL !!!! Yes U R tot badass!!! ((())) luv ya

Kathy S.
on 1/29/19 12:08 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Image result for woo hoo you go girl

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/29/19 6:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Congrats Sparkle!!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

karenp8
on 1/30/19 4:51 am - Brighton, IL

This is my favorite post ever! You have got some guts and I'm so proud of you. Congratulations!

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/30/19 11:26 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Way to kick ass and take names Julie. You are a skate star!!

Happy for you friend

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127