How to make decaf coffee not taste gross.

VioletFemme
on 1/19/19 1:42 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Not yet cleared for regular coffee, but can have decaf. I've tried torani sf syrups and mixing with premier protein which was okay with regular coffee pre-op, but decaf tastes kind of gross.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

Valerie G.
on 1/19/19 2:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It might be the aftertaste of the protein causing the yuck factor. I found egg protein to be much more palatable when I needed it (no aftertaste).

Other than that, I'd say go for a bolder flavor than you usually enjoy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MarinaGirl
on 1/19/19 3:15 pm, edited 1/19/19 8:25 am

Decaf coffee is not inherently gross compared to caffeinated coffee. If it doesn't taste as good then that is due to the brand, beans or blend you've selected, not because of the caffeine level. Find the best tasting coffee for you and a creamer that tastes well mixed with your coffee. I like half-n-half or Premier Protein (vanilla or chocolate).

Note that what tasted good pre-op may taste different post-op. Many people experience this conundrum with Ready To Drink protein shakes/beverages and protein powder. This is why vets recommend not stocking up on these items until after surgery. Do some taste tests now to see what is palatable to you.

VioletFemme
on 1/19/19 6:16 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Premier Protein tasted so so prior to surgery, but now I love it!

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

jenorama
on 1/19/19 4:27 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I limit caffeine post-surgery and I don't find decaf to be gross. I like the Peet's House Blend decaf k-cups. Shop around and find something you like.

Jen

Kristi T.
on 1/20/19 9:32 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

My surgeon actually recommended Peet's General Dickinson's Decaf coffee pre and post op, it wasn't too bad:-)

Partlypollyanna
on 1/19/19 7:29 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I drink a lot of decaf and mix it up by getting some flavored decafs; the quality of the coffee really makes a difference. For plain, at the grocery store options, I like a brand called Eight O'Clock Coffee. If you can find it (Target has started carrying it) I love the Dazbog Babushka Decaf.

For flavored, I've used a company called Christopher Bean -- they are pricey so these are my treats decafs only -- but the almond amaretto decaf is so good.

Good luck finding one that you like. Decaf teas are also an option!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen