Getting to know you....getting to know all about you (2019 edition)

stacyrg
on 1/10/19 11:33 am
VSG on 05/12/14

My first half marathon was the Tinkerbell half at Disneyland, 2 days before my 1 year surgery anniversary. I've run it 3 times. The stopped all races during 2017 and I don't know that they plan on starting them up again. I'm so happy my first was a Disney production. Their organization is great. It was an amazing experience.

Deb P.
on 1/8/19 8:51 am

Yep, I'm one of those people coming back.

1. I'm a cruiser and crafter but can't decide which one I like more. I've been on over 70 cruises. (Yikes!) When I'm on a cruise I don't want to come home but once I get home I sew and do crafts and don't want to leave. We now stay gone a few months at a time then come back and stay at home a while but I still haven't found the right cruising to crafting ratio yet.
  2. I was a lurker a long time before I ever joined and every time I needed positive vibes I would come here to read the success stories. Even the struggles helped inspire me to make changes. As you would expect, cruising for extended periods of time makes it difficult to maintain a healthy way of eating. It's easier at the beginning of a trip, but by about day 15 it's just too easy to make bad choices. Then by day 50 you've really boxed yourself into a corner. Do that enough times over the course of several years and you might as well live in that corner. So what I would like to get out of this community is what I always look for: a place to benefit from the support members give each other. Even if all I just do is lurk, I'm learning!

Thanks for bringing me out of hiding.

Partlypollyanna
on 1/8/19 9:09 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh, I have looked at some of those long cruises, do you feel trapped when you get into the double digit days on board? i have only done two cruises but both were just a week.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Deb P.
on 1/8/19 9:37 am

We don't feel trapped at all. We will sometimes do cruises with lots of sea days (like Italy to Florida), but usually don't do the long 28+ day cruises. Instead we do the 7-10-14 day cruises week after week. If we do Alaska for a few cruises in a row it's okay if it's raining in a port because we know we'll be back the next week. On other cruises the ports usually alternate every other week so if we want to go be adventurous in port we can, but if we feel lazy we know we'll be back in a couple weeks. It's a lot more relaxing when you know you don't have to cram everything into one week.

Where did you go on your cruises?

Gina 22 years out
on 1/8/19 12:22 pm - Burleson, TX

My friends tell me the Alaskan cruises are THE ones, to take

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Deb P.
on 1/8/19 12:45 pm

Absolutely! It was our first ever cruise and we've taken 14 more cruises to Alaska since. The scenery is breathtaking.

Partlypollyanna
on 1/8/19 4:46 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

We did a family Alaska cruise on Princess and then a friend and I did Croatia-Slovenia-Montenegro on a clipper ship. It was awesome!

Jen

seattledeb
on 1/9/19 10:53 pm

You are living my dream except the crafty thing.

I've been on 9 cruises.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/9/19 8:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Great Thread! Thanks for asking!

I was a teenage Mom/high school dropout who ultimately finished school, ended up with an MBA, and retired last year from an executive position with an insurance company.

I stay on OH as much as possible for the wonderful support I get to continue maintaining. I would love to lose the extra 5 pounds I have been carrying since the summer (still under goal but I don't like it). It is so much harder 3 years out!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Partlypollyanna
on 1/9/19 10:31 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Liz, I am so in awe of your accomplishments! My sister was a teenage mom and I know how hard she had to work to achieve success so you have my sincere admiration!

Jen