Easiest Thanksgiving turkey EVER!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/21/18 7:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

We had a Thanksgiving potluck at work yesterday, and I brought the turkey. I made it that morning in my Instant Pot and it turned out amazingly good-- super juicy and the seasoning went all the way into the meat! I know there are a bunch of folks here who use IP's, so you might want to try it out.

• Snag a turkey breast and make sure it's thawed. I used one that was about 5lb.
  • Pat it dry, then rub the outside with olive oil and your choice of seasonings. I used a "garlic and herb" spice mix that turned out really well.
  • Melt 2T butter and a drizzle of olive oil in the IP on "saute" until it browns a little. Put the turkey breast in there and sear the outside on all sides, it should take about five minutes.
  • Take the turkey out of the pot and lay down a steamer tray/trivet/etc in the bottom of the pot. Put the turkey on top of the stand-- you don't want it resting on the bottom of the pot.
  • Cook on manual, 10 - 12 minutes per pound, then do a manual pressure release (10 min).
  • Take the turkey out and let it rest.
  • Use the drippings in the bottom of the pot to make gravy. Whisk in some flour, heavy cream, and chicken broth until you get a nice smooth gravy.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

facetedginger
on 11/21/18 9:21 am

Thank you! I was just thinking about this lol.

Partlypollyanna
on 11/21/18 9:21 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I am going to try this for Christmas! Was it a bone in turkey breast or boneless?

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

on 11/21/18 9:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The one I used was bone-in.

Dcgirl
on 11/21/18 9:24 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ohhh this is very timely! I was going to get ham and turkey at the HoneyBaked store but I got inspired to make my own turkey. I was going to make an entire turkey, truss it up, take out the giblets, rub butter under the skin, etc...but this sounds INFINITELY easier. I will go look for a turkey breast. Did it have a bone or not? (I cannot believe I am braving the grocery store the day before Thanksgiving. Pray for me. But we are not making Thanksgiving until Saturday (going to friends tomorrow) so I have time to thaw this little sucker.)

Also, 10-12 minutes per pound? So it's legit in the instant pot for like 50+ minutes? I have never cooked anything that long!

on 11/21/18 9:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I used a bone-in breast, mine was about 5lb. So it was in the IP for well over an hour, including the slow release and the time to get up to pressure. I was a little nervous since I never leave anything in there that long, but it definitely needed all that time so that it would be cooked all the way through.

The Salty Hag
on 11/23/18 8:22 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yay for easy turkey!

I used my IP to cook turkey thighs and a half breast that I then pulled off the bone to add to the dressing I make. I used the trivet, and flavored the meat and the cooking broth heavily with the usual herbs and spices. The resulting broth after it was done cooking was probably the best thing I've made in the Instant Pot.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Liz J.
on 11/26/18 1:21 pm
DS on 11/29/16

While I don't own an IP, your post got me thinking and I did mine in the crock-pot. It was super easy and I pulled it out a tad early to pop in the oven to brown up the top! It turned out great! Thanks for the idea!

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Kathy S.
on 11/30/18 7:02 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thanks Julie, this sounds amazing...going to check the group for a chili recipe.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130