What was the final straw/final trigger for you having WLS/starting the WLS process?

DonRobbie
on 12/1/18 11:00 am
DS on 12/18/18

We've known I was going to need WLS for a few years. What got me off the dime was when I went to my PCP and had hit a new high weight. I couldn't get back up on my own after lying down on the table. I'd slipped over into prediabetic territory at my previous checkup and had been on a Statin for high cholesterol and a medication to control my high blood pressure for some time. She told me it was time to consider WLS.

That moved us from the 'someday', to the next year or two. I started the process and found out my insurance doesn't cover WLS. So after some research I decided to do self pay in Mexico. I'd lost weight but had hit a wall after about 45 pounds and I was feeling pretty cruddy with the aches and pains and trying to keep my blood sugar on an even keel. by this time 6 or so months had went by. The final push was when I started thinking about changing careers (or at least jobs). There was a job in a related field I was pursuing that would have started early next year and I knew I couldn't wait another couple years to build up time there so I took a hardship withdrawal from my 401k and scheduled surgery for December. The job fell through but I'm still on track to have the Surgery in a couple of weeks. My biggest regret so far is that I didn't do it sooner.

Partlypollyanna
on 12/1/18 4:44 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Good luck! Sounds like you are taking aggressive moves to get your surgery done; I hope it all goes very well for you!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

dreamer1234
on 12/4/18 4:56 am

for me it was something that happened to me a yr and a 1/2 ago that made me realize that i needed to do something about my weight. i had burnt out the motors in 2 lift chairs because i was too heavy. finally the guy at the furniture store told me that i needed the deluxe model with a weight limit of 500 lbs. when he said that i was so embarassed!i'm 3 months post op now and have lost 90 lbs which i am proud of. i don't want to go back to the way i was before!