What was the final straw/final trigger for you having WLS/starting the WLS process?

Au_Contraire
on 11/18/18 11:17 am

You are doing beautifully, Joyce. I have no doubt that you will reach the weight you want to be! I really love your tag line "Fall down seven times, get up eight!"!

bethmal
on 11/18/18 3:45 am
RNY on 12/26/17

I had lapband in 2006. Initially, I did well and then after about year 7 or 8 I developed severe acid reflux. My PCP put me on a prescription acid reducer. During that time my surgeon left the group and moved to be a surgical instructor so I had no aftercare because no doctor wanted to take on another doctors band patient.

Moving right along, I met a man (who is now my husband) who also had the lapband (pure coincidence). He swore up and down that his wls group would take me in. I went to an appointment with him to check the place out and make sure that was where I wanted to transfer my care. His doctor was 'new' to that group - she was young and very knowledgeable. After his appointment, I scheduled an appointment for a fill, which had to be done at the hospital to be done under fluro because the doctor didn't place my band and didn't want to jab me with a huge needle blindly. She also told me that if the acid reflux didn't get any better, the band would have to be removed. I didn't want to hear any of that nonsense.

About two years ago, DH was out grilling dinner and came running into the house choking/coughing up blood. Off to the ER we went and found out he had a bleeding ulcer. Back to the doctor in August of 2017, we went and she told him that the band would have to go but that he could be a revision to rny and he was all in. On our way home from that appointment, we talked and decided that I should also have my band removed and have a revision. Just so happened that my doctor had an available appointment the next day. Since I had just seen her during my DH's appointment the day before, she had an idea of why I was there.

Our lapbands were removed in August of 2017, we went to nutrition classes, lifestyle classes, met with the nut and the psych numerous time and after waiting the 90 days for insurance to approve, we had our revisions December 26, 2017, one right after the other (I went first.) It's been a year of learning and growing - totally worth it!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

Partlypollyanna
on 11/18/18 6:23 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh wow! I didn't realize you and DH both had it done and same day too! What an exciting journey to be on together!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Au_Contraire
on 11/18/18 11:24 am

That's an amazing story, Beth! I am impressed every day by the power of this surgery. How cool that both you and your DH have travelled the road together!

VioletFemme
on 11/19/18 5:06 am - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

My doctor recommended it in 2012, but I was a lightweight, so I thought I could lose weight myself. Then in 2016 I was diagnosed with graves disease (hyperthyroid). I lost a ton of weight (mostly muscle) and then gained it back and more when put on medication. Because of my autoimmune disorder, I will either be on antithyroid meds for life which will suppress my metabolism, or have my thyroid removed and try to replace those hormones. Thyroid issues really **** with your weight and make it harder to lose weight. I realized that with this disadvantage, I need any tool possible to get to and maintain a healthy weight. After my hormone levels stabalized, I requested a referral to the bariatric center in my province and started the process.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

Partlypollyanna
on 11/19/18 7:45 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Congratulations on taking control and seeing your path forward.

Jen

Laura in Texas
on 11/19/18 7:33 am

Thanks for starting this thread, Jen. I love reading everyone's stories. It is inspiring to read them even at 10 years out. We all need to keep our heads in the game and never forget where we came from.

For me, I have battled my weight since my 20's. I was thin, then fat, then thin again so many times. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer, I was already 100 pounds overweight. In the 2 years of his battle, I gained another 100 pounds.

After his death, I adopted DD#1 in 2004. In 2007, I adopted #2. I was (and still am) single, I knew I had to be the one to raise my children to adulthood and I wanted to be an active mom. That was not possible at 340 pounds. I also did not want my kids teased for having a fat mom (kids can be cruel).

In 2007 "Big Medicine" started airing on TLC. And they were in my hometown!! Seeing stories of real people who looked healthy after losing weight gave me hope. I remember a previous story on TLC of a woman who lost a ton after having the DS and she looked so unhealthy.

Fall of 2007 I went to a seminar at the Davis Clinic. I started the process early 2008 and had my RNY surgery in September. Next to adopting my kids, it was my best decision ever.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Partlypollyanna
on 11/19/18 7:43 am
RNY on 02/14/18

That is phenomenal! Your girls must be so proud of you!

Jen

Au_Contraire
on 11/19/18 10:39 am

Wow, Laura, that is awesome, and I am impressed not just by your having lost and maintained, but also by the fact that you have been a single mom to your two kiddos since they entered your life! Really, just very impressive.

Janet P.
on 11/20/18 10:11 am

My mother spent the last 5 years of her life in a nursing home because she was too obese to rehab a broken leg (very bad break, complications from Type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis so the leg never healed). I knew that would be me eventually - and that was not going to happen.

Also life-threatening sleep apnea.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny