The Arithmetic of Weight Loss

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/13/18 6:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 11/13/18 9:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> "...yet all of you have called me names"

Can you quote any instance where somebody called you a mean name? From what I've read, folks have called you out on your bias and lack of supporting evidence without resorting to personal attacks.

>> "At least be honest enough to state that the reason you chose the surgical option is because you wanted a microwave result."

In over 6 years on OH, I have not seen a single person use this as their justification for surgery. Life after WLS takes hard work to lose the weight and maintain it without suffering regain as your (oft-cited) acquaintances have experienced. Personally, I chose surgery because it's been statistically proven to offer the best chance of long-term weight maintenance. Here's a whole mess of clinical data, should you be so inclined. (Source)

>> "...unable to understand that the "plan" consisted of drinking two shakes per day and eating one meal."

This confirms my suspicion that you actually understand very little about life after bariatric surgery. Once a patient has healed from surgery, usually in between two to four weeks, there is no need for shakes. Most folks on OH eat three small, protein-forward, lowish-carb meals per day.

>> "What remains lost on all of you is that the surgery does nothing except change the physical capacity you have to store food, resulting in fewer calories consumed."

Nope. Bariatric surgery causes changes in hormones and metabolism. (Source)

>> "I am sorry if I upset anyone this weekend."

I remain skeptical.

Liz J.
on 11/12/18 1:19 pm
DS on 11/29/16
btm61
on 11/12/18 1:29 pm

Wow, a TV show. Really? As I said my numbers are based on physical measurements taken. Want to know something funny? 35 years ago I also had my BMI measured and it has varied by only three pounds in that time. You have a great day. Liz, but you are wrong.

Gwen M.
on 11/12/18 3:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

BMI is calculated, not measured. The calculation is based on the measurements of height and weight.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz J.
on 11/12/18 3:18 pm
DS on 11/29/16

They used the tv show because it gave them a baseline of participates. It was done by a scientific journal by Columbia University Medical Center in New York. Did you read what about metabolic pit falls? You might want to...

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

MarinaGirl
on 11/12/18 3:47 pm
On November 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Wow, a TV show. Really? As I said my numbers are based on physical measurements taken. Want to know something funny? 35 years ago I also had my BMI measured and it has varied by only three pounds in that time. You have a great day. Liz, but you are wrong.

What you wrote clearly shows your lack of knowledge (aka ignorance) of what Body Mass Index is.

Per the CDC (and which Gwen shared above), BMI is a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. The result is a number, not a percentage.

If your BMI has not changed in 35 years due to your weight staying within 3 lbs and your height the same, then that means you've been Class 3 Extreme/Severe Obese all this time and your BMI is greater than 40; again, per the CDC's definition of Adult Obesity.

Have you calculated your past, current, and hoped for goal BMI, and what the normal range is for someone your height?

Let me help:

Height 5'10"

High Weight 454 lbs = 65.1 Obese BMI (Class 3)

Current/Low Weight 374 = 53.7 Obese BMI (Class 3)

Goal Weight 215 = 30.8 Obese BMI (Class 1)

Overweight BMI range: 175 to 208 lbs

Normal BMI Range: 129 to 174 lbs

btm61
on 11/13/18 7:31 am

marina, 129 pounds is normal for a 5-10 MALE? If you all don't know my gender, I wonder what else it is that you don't know about me. By the way, no one has yet refuted my claim that weight loss is calories consumed - calories burned.

on 11/13/18 9:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I wonder what else it is that you don't know about another (hypothetical) patient that might make 129lb a safe/healthy weight for a 5'10" male.

MarinaGirl
on 11/12/18 3:57 pm

And if you don't like how the Center for Disease Control (CDC) defines adult obesity and BMI, then read this article from the Mayo Clinic, regarding BMI: A tool for estimating weight status.

Mayo Clinic: What's your BMI?