The Arithmetic of Weight Loss

Kathy S.
on 11/15/18 8:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I think the point that everyone is missing is the goal is to lose weight, get healthy and live a long, happy productive life. NO ONE METHOD IS SUPERIOR OVER THE OTHER!!!

I am glad OP you lost weight and were successful at it. Congratulations and thank you for sharing how you did it. But don't make us feel less than if we did not do it your way, and vise a versa. This surgery saved my life. I played with the numbers all my life and the numbers didn't work for me. Doesn't make it wrong.....

Let's play nice everyone

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

btm61
on 11/15/18 9:22 am

People, I'm not saying one way is better than another, only that for both, the math is the same. No matter which way you do it, discipline is mandatory. THAT IS ALL I HAVE EVER SAID, AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU MAY THINK I SAID IS PURE FICTION. Going through WLS then eating three Big Macs is useless. Going to a restaurant and eating the supersized, on sale, entree is useless if you are doing a Medically Managed programed. I know folks who weigh more today then they did before their WLS, that doesn't mean that everyone will. We all know folks who have done the weight loss yo-yo and have tried dozens of different programs, that doesn't mean I will.

In my limited understanding of WLS steps are taken to physically restrict the size of the stomach, thus reducing the amount of food that can be stored before one is "full". Guess what, the result is fewer calories consumed. In my case I have made the conscious decision to change my diet from 3500 calories per day to an average of 1500, but as I work from home behind a desk and lived a very sedentary lifestyle, I also needed to exercise as well, so I have a professional who has helped me do that. No matter what path you decide to take, no matter what else you do, the simple equation for weight reduction is calories consumed subtract calories burned and that fact is unalterable, and to do that takes discipline. that is all I have ever said, and I said it in my very first post.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/15/18 9:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"Pure fiction?" How about:

• It takes 150 minutes of cardio per week to lose weight.
  • Binge Eating is not a mental illness, but rather a lack of personal willpower
  • A few people gained back their weight after WLS, therefore surgery doesn't work
  • People *****gain weight after WLS because they use meal replacement shakes
  • Exercise with changed eating patterns "WILL" lead to weight loss

The last point is what I suspect most of us take issue with. Yes, if one can adhere to this, then it will lead to weight loss. Research shows that attempting to change eating patterns and exercise does not actually happen with a vast number of people; this explains the discrepancy between long-term success rates of patients who undergo WLS versus those who use diet and exercise alone.

Your lack of grounding in reality and observational statistics is what has me frustrated, personally-- both as a professional data nerd, and as a WLS patient.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

btm61
on 11/15/18 3:51 pm

Hag,

• It takes 150 minutes of cardio per week to lose weight. I hope you'll understand if I take the advice of two college graduates, one with a Master's degree in the subject, over the "facts" presented by a blogger
  • Binge Eating is not a mental illness, but rather a lack of personal willpower There any number of DSM diagnoses out there that are an attempt to shirk personal responsibility for the reasons I previously stated.
  • A few people gained back their weight after WLS, therefore surgery doesn't work I hope you can point me to the exact place were I said that because I didn't say that. What I DID say is that WLS wouldn't work for me because I need to learn to develop healthy eating and exercise habits and I'm afraid for ME that I would use the surgery as a crutch to NOT develop those healthy habits. There also clearly people who make the necessary dietetic changes for whom WLS didn't work either.
  • People *****gain weight after WLS because they use meal replacement shakes I didn't say this either. What I did say is that people who experience the yo-yo effect in weight loss are often involved in programs where shakes are used as meal replacements, as is the case with most commercial diet programs. Any bloke could lose weight if they only ate two meals per day and didn't snack in between. The yo-yo takes effect when they start eating three meals per day again, and that happens because eating only twice per day isn't sustainable.
  • Exercise with changed eating patterns "WILL" lead to weight loss I know how you could understand this to be fiction (extreme sarcasm intended) because scientifically that is a proven fact. The problem becomes when people revert to old eating habits. However, if you change your eating habits from 3500 calories per day, to 1500 calories per day, and begin burning 600-700 calories per day through exercise, as I am doing, it doesn't take a college degree to see that weight loss is inevitable.

See how much misinformation exists regarding my post, and it's all because people can't comprehend what they read. By the way, I weighed in again tonight and I'm down 3 pounds from last Friday, so clearly the program I'm on doesn't work. That's 83 pounds total now. I hope you all have a great weekend.

on 11/15/18 5:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

1. You've been harping on the fact that calorie defecit results in weight loss. Surely that can happen without exercise, if one cuts their calories back enough!

3. "Laura,

You are funny, I have a couple of friends who went from 350 before surgery to 500 AFTER surgery so apparently surgery doesn't work either."

4. "Laura, how many of those people who have yo-yo'd have used meal replacement shakes or been on some of those diet plans like Nutrisystem or similar?"

5. I'm not arguing the point that calorie defecit results in weight loss. What I AM arguing is that it's simple (as you claim) for everyone to maintain said behaviors which result in weight loss and maintenance. If it was truly that easy, the data (see this meta-analysis) wouldn't be so dismal. I'm not sure if you're ignorant, or being deliberately obtuse for the purpose of argument.

btm61
on 11/15/18 6:24 pm

Hag "those people" when read in context clearly was a response to those who yo-yo, it's your proof texting that makes it seem other wise.

" Researchers found that while excess weight loss was at 77 percent after a year, it decreased to 56 percent after five years. Diabetes remission was promising at 51 percent after a year, but only 20 percent after five years." "Bariatric surgery alone is often not effective," he told Healthline. "Patients must also incorporate substantial lifestyle and behavior changes along with the surgery to achieve sustainable weight loss." https://www.healthline.com/health-news/bariatric-surgery-pat ients-see-weight-gain-after-honeymoon-period-080515#2

This article clear shows that at least the "sleeve" is less is not as effective at 5 years out as Medically Managed care (without surgery) is. I didn't say it, a surgeon did.

If you read my first post I clearly stated that its "THE DISCIPLINE THAT IS HARD." On top of that I have said over and over, one time being just two posts ago that"WEIGHT LOSS IS HARD"!!!! Now please go back to elementary school so you can learn how to read!!!!!

The bottom line is that nothing you pointed out was anything that I said, except for your proof-texting. Now, go get a fu*** life.

on 11/15/18 6:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 16, 2018 at 2:24 AM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Hag "those people" when read in context clearly was a response to those who yo-yo, it's your proof texting that makes it seem other wise.

" Researchers found that while excess weight loss was at 77 percent after a year, it decreased to 56 percent after five years. Diabetes remission was promising at 51 percent after a year, but only 20 percent after five years." "Bariatric surgery alone is often not effective," he told Healthline. "Patients must also incorporate substantial lifestyle and behavior changes along with the surgery to achieve sustainable weight loss." https://www.healthline.com/health-news/bariatric-surgery-pat ients-see-weight-gain-after-honeymoon-period-080515#2

This article clear shows that at least the "sleeve" is less is not as effective at 5 years out as Medically Managed care (without surgery) is. I didn't say it, a surgeon did.

If you read my first post I clearly stated that its "THE DISCIPLINE THAT IS HARD." On top of that I have said over and over, one time being just two posts ago that"WEIGHT LOSS IS HARD"!!!! Now please go back to elementary school so you can learn how to read!!!!!

The bottom line is that nothing you pointed out was anything that I said, except for your proof-texting. Now, go get a fu*** life.

I have a ******g life, thanks! I'm headed out the door to roller derby practice with my friends.

I'm not the one who keeps coming back after apparently trying to exit the discussion

Julia S.
on 11/15/18 9:23 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I think what offended me the most is the fact that you assume that none of us know the information that you are spewing. Like you have found the magic answer to weight loss and it all has to do with math and self-discipline. We all know more about nutrition including macros in our foods than I'm sure you do. I'm also offended by you denying that binge eating disorder is a real diagnosis. Most people on this forum are kind and supportive, but your tone has offended many of us. I really don't want to respond because your attitude is that you know it all so you will dismiss anyone that does not espouse your narrow view. Come back after 10 years of maintaining at a normal BMI and we might not treat you like this.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

btm61
on 11/15/18 9:34 am

Well, this post just shows that some people can't be helped, and they just can't help but spew a false narrative. I feel sorry for you Lisa, I really do. I didn't say that BED wasn't a real diagnoses, or that it isn't a real malady, all I said about BED sounds like one of those diagnoses designed to excuse people from accepting personal responsibility, and as a whole, that is the very foundation of Freudian Psychology and even though Freud's beliefs have been largely proven to be patently false, his approach to life has done more to destroy Western Civilization than Marx ever will.

on 11/15/18 9:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 15, 2018 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, btm61 wrote:

Well, this post just shows that some people can't be helped, and they just can't help but spew a false narrative. I feel sorry for you Lisa, I really do. I didn't say that BED wasn't a real diagnoses, or that it isn't a real malady, all I said about BED sounds like one of those diagnoses designed to excuse people from accepting personal responsibility, and as a whole, that is the very foundation of Freudian Psychology and even though Freud's beliefs have been largely proven to be patently false, his approach to life has done more to destroy Western Civilization than Marx ever will.

"...even though Freud's beliefs have been largely proven to be patently false, his approach to life has done more to destroy Western Civilization than Marx ever will."

As a social scientist I would be interested in reading some supporting info on this. Citation, please?