Being Fat Is a Work Out (random thoughts)

VioletFemme
on 11/10/18 2:33 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

I got a fit bit recently and it is so eye opening seeing how many pulse gets elevated from doing simple tasks. I'm one of those obese people who didn't suffer any major complications and have zero mobility issues, so like a delusional person, felt I was 'healthy' despite being obese. Get up from my desk and walk to photocopier and my fit bit puts me in the fat burning zone. Another observation: This will be confirmed by my DEXA scan in 3 weeks, but I definitely have a higher lean body weight than the average person my height despite having "small bone structure" (my pinky and thumb can wrap around my ankles). Part of it is my oversize organs and blood volume, but carrying around over 200lbs of weight for a decade is low key strength training. Never really thought about how my stress my body is under carrying all this weight. I always thought of it in terms of complications.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

NYMom222
on 11/10/18 5:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes when I went for my first Dexascan I was told I had higher than average muscle mass. It didn't stay that way...but initially I did from carrying all the extra weight.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/10/18 9:13 pm

Not only higher muscles mass, but also bone density. They needed to be strong to support my weight.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nikke2003
on 11/11/18 6:23 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

This topic is definitely one of the things a person that has never been significantly overweight can't understand. It has been long enough for me (since surgery) that I sometimes forget as well. When I go home to visit my family, I watch my Mom struggle to get up off the couch and am reminded by how much effort everything is for her. It's a scary reality check.

I would be interested in a DEXA scan as well. My calves are STILL pretty huge from being heavier - years later they still haven't decreased in size and it makes me a bit self conscious to be honest. They definitely stand out lol. But as the other posters mentioned, our body gets quite a work out carrying around extra weight for so many years.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Dcgirl
on 11/12/18 2:34 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Not to hijack the original post, but having met you in person and seen you in an adorable little black dress, I can say with 100% certainty that your calves aren't big and don't stand out! We are all our own worst critics :) You are gorgeous, Nikke, and maintaining your loss like a champion! I'm so inspired by you :)

Nikke2003
on 11/14/18 12:11 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

haha, it's actually funny that you say that because the night we met and went out in DC, I went to get a drink at the bar, and a man actually commented on them hahahaha. He was intending to compliment though. It's all good.

Thank you though!! You have always been so supportive!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com