How do you fit more exercise in?

Grim_Traveller
on 11/11/18 5:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

That's a big change! You've been missed. I hope to see you around more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LuckyLoser
on 11/11/18 10:44 pm - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi Nikke:

I like what you wrote and I know it comes from long-term experience! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'm not even 3 months post-op. I have felt guilty because "all" I do is a lot of walking everyday. I haven't set foot into a gym yet!

At my last surgeon's appointment about 6 weeks post-op, I even forgot to ask if I could do more vigorous exercise than walking! I was dealing with the aftermath of a stricture dilation and a poor transition to solid proteins at the time. I have my 3-month appointment coming up right after Thanksgiving so I can ask then.

I love walking. What's even better is my beloved dog is my exercise partner and my motivation! With him, I know I will get at least 2 good walks in on workdays and at least 3 good, long walks in on weekends.

Your recommendations seem doable for me. There is a small gym in my condo complex that I can try out in small doses, like you suggested. I'm kind of shy about going there because I'm klutzy and I'm older (63 years old). But, I'll just get over it since my well-being and success at losing weight are more important.

I do have a fitness tracker. Actually two: an ancient Fitbit One that I love and a brand new Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro that I haven't figured out how to use yet. So I will make sure I put them to good use!

Thanks again Nikke for your very useful recommendations!

---Joyce

PS: Here's my faithful walking partner, Jake!

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Nikke2003
on 11/14/18 12:15 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I definitely recommend taking the pressure off. I think a lot of us end up in a situation with our health where we start looking into these surgeries because of guilt. We feel guilty when we refuse food - because people use it to show love. We eat to soothe guilt we feel about other things. We don't go to the gym because we feel guilty putting it before other responsibilities. The list goes on and on. Getting into therapy and learning to let go of unnecessary guilt is one of the things that has made me a much happier and healthier person over the years. It's really ok to just keep walking until you feel like doing something else. "Active" comes in many forms.

Jake is adorable!! Love it!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com