How do you fit more exercise in?

LuckyLoser
on 11/5/18 1:28 am, edited 11/5/18 1:32 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hello Everyone:

From what I have read on this forum, as people lose weight, their lives often become busier because they are able to do more things that they couldn't do before.

Frequently, I have seen the recommendation to keep increasing activity over time to improve flexibility, endurance, and strength. I do know that exercise, itself, is not the most important factor during active weight loss.

I'm about 2.5 months post-RNY. I have been walking with my dog as my exercise. Over time, I have increased the distance and walked on more difficult types of terrain. I would like to continue walking--it's become an enjoyable part of my life. However, I think it's time to add more exercise. But, when?

I know that others are very busy with their careers, families, and their lives, in general.

How do you manage to fit more exercise into your daily life?

Thanks for your suggestions!

---Joyce

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

Shannon S.
on 11/5/18 3:28 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I joined a gym, not really knowing how I was going to fit it in. I have a full time job, pets, and I still have a small child at home. So here is what I do. I try and prepare myself. I prep lunches for the week. I try and make a Sunday dinner where there will be left overs. I come home, prepare dinner, take care of my pets, pack lunches, and clean up. Luckily hubs does homework and I go to the gym around 6:30 to 7:30. I thought it would be hard, but I love it. The energy that I have is amazing afterwards. Try and get it in anyway you can. Your body will start craving it. It will become routine. Good luck!

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 12:50 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Great advice, Shannon. You have a very busy life and you fit exercise in and it makes you feel good, too. That's great to hear and motivates me to start planning my days better and to get moving!

---Joyce

Partlypollyanna
on 11/5/18 3:38 am
RNY on 02/14/18

The only way it works is to schedule it in. I do find that I prefer morning exercise but I also like to take a variety of classes and so I have to be flexible and balance both!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 12:54 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi!

The idea of doing different types of exercise appeals to me. Even though my exercise so far has been walking with my dog, we do go hiking in different places. That helps keep me interested in walking everyday!

Thanks!

---Joyce

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/18 3:55 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I am not sure how your schedule is, but even if you don't join a gym you can do cardio at home with videos. Even fitting 20 minute work outs in every day will be great. I think everyone can afford 20 minutes to spare.

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 1:03 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi mershmellow:

I think using exercise videos would work for me for 2 reasons. First, I can fit the exercise in anytime. Second, and more importantly, I'm quite intimidated by gyms.

I have been pretty clumsy . . . more like klutzy . . . my whole life. Being overweight compounded my fear of exercising in public.

Thanks for the suggestion!

---Joyce

Shannon S.
on 11/6/18 6:41 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I was so scared of the gym. I've been going only a couple of weeks. I'd been wanting to join for months, but out of fear I didn't. I go to a fairly large gym. Both males and females. Nobody bothers anybody. Nobody has shamed me. It's eels very motivating for me.

I was walking my dog before, and we have treadmill at home, but something about the gym really pushes me, and makes exercising exciting and fun. You may feel different, but I'm shocked that I like it this much. Don't count it out.

chevtow41
on 11/5/18 4:34 am
DS on 11/11/14

I consider as important as work. I plan my day with it in. Somedays that means I go at 4am other times I go at 8pm. I've even gone after a 20hr day of playing poker, figured another 1.5hr at the gym was worth it :)

I also know people that get a quick 30 minute workout at lunch. If you stay on task you can get a bunch of weightlifting in 30 mins

LuckyLoser
on 11/6/18 1:09 am - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi!

Wow! I don't have to do a big block of exercise -- like a solid hour. Instead, I can fit in smaller 20-minute sessions. That would be more manageable for me. What a great thought!

Thanks.

---Joyce