Quick, easy, and WLS friendly: sheet pan dinners

Dcgirl
on 9/18/18 6:16 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I find that Trader Joes has super tasty bags of veggies - a big variety! Of course the regular grocery store does too, but check on TJs too. This is a great idea. Also, have you tried the sauces from Aldi? They rock! I haven't met one I don't like yet!

PCBR
on 9/18/18 8:40 am

Thanks! Any thoughts on how you would adjust if one used fresh veggies? Would you start with meat and throw them in later in the cooking time?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/18/18 8:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think it would depend on what kind of veggies you used. For something more fibrous, like squash or sweet potato, you'd want to do the whole time. For something like carrots or broccoli, it might be a good idea to throw them in at the halfway mark. But honestly, when you're roasting veggies, I don't think it does too much harm to have them in the oven for a little longer than necessary.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Au_Contraire
on 9/22/18 1:34 pm

Sounds delicious! I guess, to figure out calories, etc. you would weigh and record each ingredient separately first, then after baking, you 'd cut the tray into serving sizes, and do the math to know where you're at?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/23/18 8:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I make several sheet pan suppers, and this is a favorite I make for the family. Of course, it isn't WLS friendly -- but I cook for my family. I eat some of the chicken thigh meat.

Chicken & Dressing Sheet Pan Supper

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

• 1/2 loaf Ciabatta, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
  • 4 cups Cornbread Chunks (I use homemade left-overs from a Chili day)
  • 1 whole Medium Red Onion, Cut Into Chunks
  • 3 stalks Celery,
  • Sliced 2 whole Carrots, Peeled And Cut Into Chunks
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Thyme
  • 8 whole Bone In Chicken Thighs
  • Half-stick Salted Butter, Cut Into Small Pieces

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the bread cubes, cornbread cubes, onion, celery, and carrots on a sheet pan. Toss together with your hands. Nestle the chicken thighs all around the pan, skin side up. Mix together the salt, pepper, sage, and thyme and sprinkle it all over the chicken, bread, and veggies. Dot the top with the butter. Place the pan in the oven for 15 minutes. Use a wooden spatula to stir the bread and veggies, mixing in the butter. Do not disturb the chicken. Return the pan to the oven and continue roasting for 25 to 30 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked. Remove the pan from the oven, stir the bread and veggies, and serve.

This is another favorite, and it's more WLS friendly (don't eat the potatoes)

Sheet Pan Shrimp and Sausage Bake

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 pound little potatoes -- I've used fingerlings, red, and dutch
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 (12.8-ounce) package smoked andouille, kielbasa or even Mexican chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon or lime, cut into wedges
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until just tender and parboiled, about 10-13 minutes. In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic and Old Bay Seasoning. Place potatoes, shrimp and sausage in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Stir in butter mixture and gently toss to combine.

Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and corn is tender.

Serve immediately with citrus wedges that you squeeze atop, garnished with parsley, if desired.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat