Lifetime PPI use

ChristineB
on 9/12/18 8:12 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On September 11, 2018 at 11:58 PM Pacific Time, Mahonia R. wrote:

I'm scared of malabsorbing nutrients, I'm scared of lifelong difficulties eating a high fat and high fiber diet, I'm scared of looking/being emaciated (my BMI is currently 21), I'm scared that insurance won't cover it, I'm scared that people will find out I had WLS (very few know), I'm scared of the complications of a revision surgery and I remember how hard recovery was. I'm scared of pregnancy after RNY. I'm scared of feeling like this situation is out of my control.

Sorry, I feel that you are scared and obsessing as others have mentioned. Please consider to receive some help with a therapist.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

stacyrg
on 9/12/18 11:38 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Why on earth not???

MarinaGirl
on 9/11/18 12:26 pm

The long term consequences of chronic PPI use include the potential increased risk of: hypocalcemia (decreased calcium absorption), hypomagnesemia (decreased magnesium absorption), Clostridium difficile infections, and pneumonia. There are also concerns that they may lead to dementia and osteoporosis.

PPIs were developed and approved for short term use (1-3 months). Using them for a year or more is really something you should be cautious about, imo. My surgeon told me that PPIs only mask symptoms of GERD, and that acid/bile reflux still happen. This means that damage to the esophagus and/or stomach may still be occurring, which could lead to cellular changes, Barrett's esophagus, and possibly cancer.

I had gastric bypass to mitigate my pre-existing GERD, and I recently had Nissen Fundoplication surgery to ensure resolution of GERD long term.

Mahonia: What kind of WLS did you have and why do you think you require PPIs for life? If you had VSG you may want to investigate revision surgery to RNY as gastric bypass does not have increased risk of new or worsening GERD, unlike VSG.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/18 5:05 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I had VSG and the acid intensified over the last few weeks to the point that I have a constant sore throat. I just started PPIs today but know that they have a rebound effect when you try to wean off of them. I'm worried that I will never be GERD free without them and I'm so scared of esophageal cancer. I read this study that your surgeon was likely referencing - it's disheartening but is done on observational and cohort studies with relatively few subjects so it's not great research:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5224998/

MarinaGirl
on 9/11/18 11:49 pm

Have you had any EGDs since your VSG? It would be helpful for you to be seen by a Gastroenterologist that has experience with WLS to determine what your current situation is actually. If you're not interested in RNY, ask the GI if you're a candidate for the Nissen Fundoplication. I worry you will not be able to prevent further damage if you only focus on approaches that mask your symptoms (e.g. PPIs, ACV, baking soda, etc) versus addressing the root cause of your GERD.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/12/18 12:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree about seeing a gastroenterologist about being looked at more closely for the acid issue. But I'm pretty sure that a Nissen Fundoplication is impossible after WLS. There isn't enough stomach left to do that procedure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MarinaGirl
on 9/12/18 7:22 am, edited 9/12/18 12:25 am

Not true Grim. I had Nissen Fundoplication 6 weeks ago, and I had gastric bypass 17 months ago. Doesn't hurt to ask a physician if it is an option as it may be for some WLS patients.

hollykim
on 9/12/18 2:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, MarinaGirl wrote:

Not true Grim. I had Nissen Fundoplication 6 weeks ago, and I had gastric bypass 17 months ago. Doesn't hurt to ask a physician if it is an option as it may be for some WLS patients.

I don't know what procedure you hD, but I would bet the farm it was not a Nissan.

The Nissan uses a large portion of a NORMAL stomach to wrap around the esophagus to help the esophageal sphincter close tighter.

There is not enough stomach left after rny to do it at all.

I suggest you get a copy of your surgical report and find out what was actually done to you.

MarinaGirl
on 9/12/18 2:53 pm

Holly - you are wrong, so thanks for the farm. I've read my op report (a few times) and I definitely had a Nissen Fundoplication, along with removal of a LINX reflux device and repair of a hiatal hernia. These procedures were done by one of the best WLS/DS/Revision surgeons in the US, Dr. Ara Keshishian. He would not lie to me or my insurance company about the surgery he performed.

FYI - the correct procedure name is Nissen Fundoplication, not Nissan Fundoplication.

hollykim
on 9/12/18 9:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 12, 2018 at 9:53 PM Pacific Time, MarinaGirl wrote:

Holly - you are wrong, so thanks for the farm. I've read my op report (a few times) and I definitely had a Nissen Fundoplication, along with removal of a LINX reflux device and repair of a hiatal hernia. These procedures were done by one of the best WLS/DS/Revision surgeons in the US, Dr. Ara Keshishian. He would not lie to me or my insurance company about the surgery he performed.

FYI - the correct procedure name is Nissen Fundoplication, not Nissan Fundoplication.

I don't think I am wrong. I know he is one of the best surgeons for revisions but I don't think even a great surgeon can do a Nissen,thanks auto correct,there just isn't enough tissue and he can't fart and make more tissue.

He might have taken some of your remnant stomach and called it a Nissen for insurance but it wouldn't be a true anissen.

I have worke in surgery and have seen surgeons fudge for insurance all the time.

Most Active