Weight loss and liver reduction prior to surgery

Lassally
on 9/7/18 7:31 am

I don't think the surgeon is being cagey or at least does not mean to be Cagey. He wants the liver reduced for either surgery, and yes he wants me to see a dietitian. He simply said that the liver needs to be reduced more for the RNY than for the VSG. He explained the anatomy and that sometimes it is hard to see behind the liver and that's why he wants it reduced. If per chance the liver is not reduced to the point that he is pleased with and it is hard to see, He will have to do a VSG instead. Until I can get into see the dietitian I was hoping for hints on how to get a kickstart on reducing that liver. I'm sorry if I didn't explain that well enough to begin with.

PCBR
on 9/7/18 9:19 am

Ok, got it. From what I understand, shrinking fge liver is pretty achievabke for most, provided they stick to the diet. I think that if you are eating a lot of simple carbs, phasing then out or stopping cold turkey would be a good first step. You're going to need to do this anyway, so why not get a jump on it. I've seen here that pre-op diets can vary, but the commonality seems to be low carbs and low calorie.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

MarinaGirl
on 9/7/18 8:03 am

Prior to the start of your pre-op liquid diet, you should stop eating desserts, sugar, processed food, carbonated beverages, alcohol, and caffeine. Focus on a high protein, low carb diet. This will facilitate liver shrinkage and develop great eating habits for post WLS. It may be challenging at first as you go through carb detox but then it will improve and make the transition to your new lifestyle post bariatric surgery that much easier. Good luck, you can do this!

Lassally
on 9/7/18 11:02 am

Thank you so much for all the input! I think I am on track so far. I believe the surgeon is trying to get me to reduce the liver prior to the liquid diet. I think I will start a partial liquid diet now and phase into it. Thanks again.

diane S.
on 9/7/18 11:50 am

My surgeon told me that when fat is lost, the first place it comes from is your liver. Thats why they tell you to lose a few before surgery. I am a vsg and had bmi of 43 or so and Dr. was not adamant about the weight loss - just said it would make for an easier more comfortable surgery. I decided that since I had 6 plus months before I could have surgery I might as well start on new habits immediately. I lost 17 pounds pre surgery by just being sensible and moving more. I had an easy surgery and recovery. Good luck. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Valerie G.
on 9/9/18 4:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I swear that laporascopic surgery has made doctors lazy anymore. He's saying that he's not confident with his skills on the machine because he has to maneuver around the liver. Copping out for a VSG is ridiculous. He should be open to the idea of an open procedure if he can't maneuver the machine around the liver. Bring this up that you'd rather he open you up instead of do a VSG if you really want RNY.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active