Needing advice

Tfergu2886
on 9/13/18 11:31 am

I signed up with nutritionist and I love her and my plan. I started intermittent fasting. I pick an 8 hour of window to eat and then I fast for 16 hours. Its easy peesy. Her name is Amanda Nighbert. She has a web site and does it all on line. She has a 7 week course. If this is of any interest. I was referred by my Bariatric surgeons office.

I will post back with my results.

Tfergu2886
on 9/13/18 11:32 am

Mention my name that I referred you. Thanks

Julia S.
on 8/28/18 7:29 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

My experience after my hysterectomy was that I gained weight seemingly on nothing. Pre-op I had maintained a 90lb weight loss for 5 years and after my hysterectomy I started gaining weight. I re-gained the 90lbs plus 50 more which is what drove me to RNY surgery. The instant menopause was horrible, the hot flashes and night sweats drove me crazy. My surgeon put me on a low dose of anti-depressant for the hot flashes but I think that is one of the things that helped me gain weight. It's a difficult time at best, and portion control and mindful eating will help. Like others have said protein first, measure and weigh everything and keep the carbs to a minimum.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Tfergu2886
on 8/28/18 8:34 am

yes Thank you for acknowledging the struggle of the menopause. The difference between natural menopause you still have your ovaries so you have some hormone function in your body. and hysterectomy w/ovaries out your body does not have any engines. They actually did a blood test on my thyroid and it was way below normal. But too I have strayed often with carbs. Did you have the sleeve like me or something else.

kind regards,

Tracey

Cathy H.
on 8/28/18 4:28 pm, edited 8/28/18 9:30 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Tracey, I just wanted to add that I, too, can empathize with your menopause issues. I had a complete hysterectomy last November--uterus, cervix, ovaries--and was thrown instantly into menopause. I had not even had pre-menopausal symptoms, so talk about a life changing event! So I can completely identify with your struggles with hormone imbalance, hot flashes, mood swings, the whole nine yards. I am sitting here at this moment in a sweat from a lovely hot flash...life is grand!

I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago, and take levothyroxine daily, so I can relate to that as well. None of it is fun, but we just have to deal with it.

I knew going into my hysterectomy that I was going to start menopause, so I read up and prepared myself mentally as best I could. I also take 2000mg of Maca powder capsules daily to reduce the effects. For me it has helped reduce the intensity and frequency of my hot flashes a lot.

As a recovering carb addict, I can also identify with that struggle, which is all too real. The path I chose was to eliminate them from my diet as much as possible, as I changed to the Ketogenic way of eating, and it has helped me so much! I realized that all that carby stuff--bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc--was what got me to 360 pounds in the first place, I have deemed they are evil and I no longer want them to be a part of my life. I stick to an eating plan that limits my daily intake of carbs to 20 net grams or less, and I strictly adhere to keto rules of green leafy, low carb veggies, no starches, no grains, etc. It has changed my life and now I don't even want bread or pasta or any of that stuff. Oh, the demons are still there, waiting under the surface. I am just now, after 16 months being Keto, allowing myself to experiment with keto sweets and desserts. Even though they're low carb, I want to be careful that the sweet demon doesn't rear it's ugly head, because even though they use artificial sweeteners, etc., they're still higher in calories and can be a problem if not eaten only occasionally.

Hang in there, get back to basics, get rid of those evil carbs, and you'll be fine! Realize that your health and feeling better about yourself is way more fun and enjoyable than the fleeting enjoyment of high carb foods!! You're worth it!!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Tfergu2886
on 8/28/18 5:28 pm

Cathy thank you so much for you words of encouragement. We are all different genetically and my thyroid problem is not the Levoroxine (mis spelled) its the actual thyroid side that revs your metabolisim so I virtually had below normal on that front. Im not making excuses because I have indulged in those wicked carbs. I even asked my husband tonight the question do you think I eat alot and he said no you dont but you do eat foods that sometimes you probably shouldn't. I want to be accountable to my self and know when i eat things I shouldnt usually I am aware and think well a little wont hurt and so on. I think we all know that ick road. Honestly reconnecting here on this site is good for me. I will tell you I was very aware of what I put in my mouth today. I have a high stress job and I am h I know I am an emotional eater strss eater blah blah i hate it. I have been doing this my whole life. My highest weight was 337. And i got myself down over years Anyway it all comes down to choices. Thank you for the help to make me. Accountable to my self. No excuses.... xo

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/18 11:37 am
On August 29, 2018 at 12:28 AM Pacific Time, Tfergu2886 wrote:

Cathy thank you so much for you words of encouragement. We are all different genetically and my thyroid problem is not the Levoroxine (mis spelled) its the actual thyroid side that revs your metabolisim so I virtually had below normal on that front. Im not making excuses because I have indulged in those wicked carbs. I even asked my husband tonight the question do you think I eat alot and he said no you dont but you do eat foods that sometimes you probably shouldn't. I want to be accountable to my self and know when i eat things I shouldnt usually I am aware and think well a little wont hurt and so on. I think we all know that ick road. Honestly reconnecting here on this site is good for me. I will tell you I was very aware of what I put in my mouth today. I have a high stress job and I am h I know I am an emotional eater strss eater blah blah i hate it. I have been doing this my whole life. My highest weight was 337. And i got myself down over years Anyway it all comes down to choices. Thank you for the help to make me. Accountable to my self. No excuses.... xo

Each body is different, so no one can tell you exactly what to eat. But start really looking at the food you eat. Our physical and mental health all begins with what we are eating. Avoid overly processed foods. Avoids too many sugars and carbs. Yes those taste the best, but unfortunately they do the worst damage. Also try doing fun substitutes. Cauliflower pizza crust instead of having a regular slice. ground turkey instead of ground beef. These little changes over time will add up and you will see the weight shed.

I would also advise talking with a physician or dietician, appetite suppressants are also a thing, but I've noticed you only crave those unhealthy foods when you keep eating them.

Tricia V.
on 8/30/18 1:43 pm - San Jose, CA

hello Tracey,

don't feel bad, I have mine gb in 2001 and went from 271 down to 155 or so. I am currently at 228 and know I eat too many sweets and bread!... I have kaiser, but I don't think they pay for any revisions either. We all go through a little of gaining some back, we just have to keep trying. I am supposed to swim but I don't. I could exercise but I have a bad back... remember to see yourself how you want to look, don't think about how much you have gained back or how bad you feel.. that will just make you continue to feel badly. Think about where you want to go with your vision of yourself. See yourself back to where you were and you will get there... I'm trying to do the same and it helps... don't look back look forward to where you want to be this time next year!!! you can do it!!! we can do it!~! god bless

Patricia

Tfergu2886
on 8/30/18 1:53 pm

thank you Patricia.

Kathy S.
on 8/30/18 2:35 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have been given so GREAT advice and suggestions. The struggle from having a hysterectomy is real but it can be done. I had some regain and getting back to the basics really helped me. Here is a list that may help you. Also, the poster that suggested appetite suppressant/drugs is not good advice. Didn't work for us before surgery not going to work after. It's just getting back on that Merry Go Round called Insanity!

Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130