Dehydration

TheWombat
on 8/25/18 1:31 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Right after surgery, I was able to drink water at a fairly normal rate. I kept an eye on my hydration at first, but when I got to the point where I was easily drinking as much as I did before surgery, I stopped tracking it as carefully.

I'm now 2.5 months post-op. When I spoke to my dietician recently, she suggested that one possible cause of my fatigue was dehydration. I asked how much I should be drinking, and she said 2 liters. (I've only been drinking about 0.75 liters, which is the same as I did before surgery. Maybe I've been chronically dehydrated for years and didn't know it.) I've been making an effort to drink more fluids, but I guess I haven't been trying hard enough.

Today, in the grocery store check-out lane, I came over funny. I told the cashier "Excuse me, I'm not feeling well", walked a few steps away and had to sit on the floor immediately. Embarassing! The staff and the customer in front of me were very attentive, and I asked someone to fetch me one of the bottles of water that I had in my shopping. As soon as I started drinking, I began to feel better.

I hope I've learned my lesson. I've set my phone to beep at me every 15 minutes, to remind me to drink. I'm already up to 1.5 liters today. I don't want to go through that experience again!

Valerie G.
on 8/25/18 1:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would want to throat punch the person who didn't stress the importance of hydration to you. From the moment they removed the IV from your arm in the hospital, your goal is 64oz each and every day. This is not something to work up to - your body has needed this for two months. Fatigue and nausea are two common symptoms. Instead of an alarm, try just bringing a 64oz jug with you at all times?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TheWombat
on 8/25/18 2:11 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

To be fair, they did stress the importance of hydration. I was the stupid person who decided that because I could physically drink as much as I wanted (and as much as I did before surgery), everything was OK.

I do carry a water bottle with me at all times, but when I'm not thirsty, it doesn't occur to me to drink. You can lead a wombat to water, but she needs an alarm to remind her to drink.

peachpie
on 8/25/18 2:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Remember thirsty means your body is already behind, and is begging you for something. Don't make your body beg.

The remider is a Good idea to get you going-- but trust me- it'll become very easy to ignore. I can tune out My vitamin reminders, or if I'm busy-- mentally put them off for "5 minutes' and then totally forget.

With water I make sure I get in at least 8oz before eating breakfast, 40oz throughout the work day and 32 oz in the evening.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Valerie G.
on 8/26/18 2:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I kept a 64oz jug with me as a reminder of my goal. I took a sip before I did anything and another sip after I did it. I even made up drinking games to provide more opportunities. It was a chore at first, but in a few months I could down that 64oz by lunchtime.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Partlypollyanna
on 8/26/18 5:39 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I have to giggle at the water drinking game!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 8/25/18 2:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

.75 liters is way, way too little. That's about 25 ounces. Way, way too little.

Part of the chemistry behind fat burning is the requirement for water. Too little water, and you won't burn fat. You will slow your metabolism down without enough fluids.

Drink!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TheWombat
on 9/3/18 3:32 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

You were right! I was in a stall, and as soon as I increased my water intake, the stall ended!

PCBR
on 8/25/18 5:50 pm

Well, live and learn and I'm glad you're okay. A thought: we humans also get some water from food we eat. You're eating way less, so even if you drink the same, your net hydration could be lower. Also, you've probably ramped up physical activity.

fAside feommthe necessity of it, I've found my WL and regularity are directly tied to my water intake. The more water I drink on a given day, the more happy I am with the scale he next day. I also have a TMI kind of gauge: if my pee isn't clear or nearly clear by early evening, I have not been drinking enough.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

TheWombat
on 8/25/18 7:42 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Ah, that bit about eating less affecting my net hydration makes a lot of sense!