Pancreatitis in patients after bariatric surgery

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/24/18 7:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's a big part of why I like to look at research. People say "oh no, your risk for pancreatitis jumps by a thousand percent after surgery" and it sounds really scary, but when you see that the overall risk is pretty small, I think it's reassuring :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/18 4:36 am

post op RNY they start seeing nesidioblastosis in adults. For long time docs believe that they only can happen in children. Now they see that as a complication post op WLS.

Nesidioblastosis in adults

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24645840

In this very long article they mentioned that as one of possible side effects post op WLS, specially RNY.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4632250/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lauren010110
on 8/24/18 3:49 pm - Victorville, CA

I had it several years ago, I'd say about 6 years ago while I had the LapBand! I felt like I was going to die. Not fun at all. My doctor couldn't tell me why or how, just that something attacked my pancreas and my levels were through the roof... after a week, I was feeling normal again. pain in my lower back, shortness of breath, bloating... pretty much all the typical symptoms.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/18 4:56 pm

And yes I think forcing protein is one of the main reasons for later post op complications ... it stresses the kidneys the appendix and the pancreas... and for what? Keeping off ten pounds ?!! Is that worth anyone's life or health?

NYMom222
on 9/1/18 7:03 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had pancretitis pre-WLS at the same time my gallbladder tanked. I was in the hospital 17 days because the pancretitis had to be under control before they would remove my gallbladder. Since the two work on the same bodily system and many people have Gallbladder issues post-WLS kinda makes sense.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save