Supportive to Bitter...

VSGAnn2014
on 8/23/18 1:30 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Totally agree with Laura.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

klv2355
on 8/26/18 8:11 pm
VSG on 12/01/14

Agree...I watch what I say too now..

I am doing this!!! Getting to my goal! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/24/18 8:01 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Yep.

I know it sounds harsh, but Laura is 100% correct.

It's sort of like when your friend is in a new relationship -- and everything she talks about centers back to this amazing new person in her life. At first, you're excited for her, but after a while, it gets really old.

When we are in the throws of our transformation, we don't even realize how annoying we really are -- or recognize how our focus on food/weight can trigger the inner-demons of other people.

Come brag here, or with other WLS people.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

White Dove
on 8/23/18 4:15 am - Warren, OH

When my mom and sisters started trying to get me to eat more, I explained that the weight loss comes to an end and then regain can start. I told them that I needed to lose as much as possible during my surgery honeymoon, because when the honeymoon ends it is typical to quickly gain back 20 pounds and no longer easy to lose again.

Another family member had surgery about two years before me, so she was already gaining back when I started losing. I told them that it was not her fault, but the way surgery worked and if I wanted the weight loss to be permanent then I could never go back to eating like I did before surgery.

That lady regained most of her weight, now eats normally, and no one would ever guess that she had once had weight loss surgery and been slim for a few years.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sweetpotato1959
on 8/27/18 12:27 pm

White Dove,

So true, regain is a lifelong struggle after the initial weight loss and muscle rebuilding. Life tends to give us a swift kick. I had a regain from my long maintained plateau..I have been working my plan mostly for about 1 solid year... I have almost gotten to my initial goal once again.. about 5 lbs away .I do not weigh very often so has been about 3 mo. since a weigh but have lost 8 lbs... by increasing activities and increasing proteins...

I know at least 4 ppl who had weight loss surgery and ate themselves out of it, OR their procedure and surgeon failed them. My Mom had surgery before I did, she never regained. Plateaued a long time but started loosing again when stress was reduced.

MarinaGirl
on 8/23/18 6:19 am

Even if you didn't have WLS, most people aren't interested in hearing how much weight you've lost at any given time, especially if they're overweight themselves. As others have said, don't share this info with folks unless they ask, and even then you may still want to say very little. To many people, how much someone weighs, earns at their job, paid for big purchases, health matters, are all loaded topics, and can cause miscommunication or bad feelings (inadvertently).

PCBR
on 8/23/18 7:05 am, edited 8/23/18 12:08 am

Agree in general, but this is her mom. Her mom isn?t acting like a good parent who knows how to set up their kid for success (kids who learn to talk about their achievements do better in their careers, etc. Signaling to children that they shouldn?t advocate or advance themselves creates generational mediocrity) If she thinks her kid is being off-puttingly bragadocious, she should talk to her about how to share her accomplishments in a different way. Lina, was is she like this about other things? Is she overweight herself?

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

White Dove
on 8/23/18 8:39 am - Warren, OH

Losing weight immediately after weight loss surgery is not a big achievement for the patient. The surgeon gets the credit for that. Keeping the weight off as the years go by is. There may be no "average", but there is one. Most people loss 100 pounds after surgery, then gain 20 back by the end of year three. Many gain 50 back by the end of year 5. After 10 years even more gain happens.

The poster needs the support that she can get from others who have had the surgery. Her mother is not experienced enough to be of any help and is sabotaging. Only those who have walked this path really understand it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Haley_Martinez
on 8/23/18 2:50 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

I disagree Dove. With all due respect the patient should certainly receive credit for losing 100 pounds, and they should continue to receive credit for keeping it off. We've all seen those who don't do what's required and don't really lose the weight, even with surgery losing so much weight isn't a walk in the park.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/24/18 8:06 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Come back in five years and see if you feel the same way.

The first 100 pounds is statistically a given. One would really have to work hard NOT to lose that in the first year.

After about 18 to 24 months, that honeymoon is over, and that is when things get real.

Dove's stats are backed by multiple studies of post-WLS patients, and anecdotally confirmed by multiple years of posts here.

That isn't to say that surgery is a "walk-in-the-park" -- but it recognizes without long term changes during that first year, and major diligence thereafter, significant regain is not only possible, but probable.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat