Cold Brew Coffee

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/18 10:31 am

I deal with GERD that used ti get worse when I drank coffee. So I started making cold brew coffee, and I have been doing it for while.

I was like you- did not want to spend a lots of money. I often make my coffee on a weekend and make enough to last me a whole week. I drink 2 large coffees per day. Sometimes an extra Kurig coffee while at work.

Eventually I bought a filter similar to that, that fits into a 64oz jar.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fine-Coffee-Filter-2-Quart-Maso n/dp/B073V2LY1Y/ref=pd_sim_79_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073V 2LY1Y&pd_rd_r=5ca5de99-a6f6-11e8-be2c-0fef8efc68c8&pd_rd_w=E IBU4&pd_rd_wg=c3TCf&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=2 3T7NNR5N3SBKAMA292X&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&ps c=1&refRID=23T7NNR5N3SBKAMA292X

I tried to put the coffee into the filter, then fill it with water, etc. But I realized that my coffee probably would give me bets results if I just put 2.5-3 cups of coffee in a 64 oz big jar, let is sit for 24 hours, shaking it very well a few times, then strain it using the Stainless steel strainer using a different 64 oz jar.

I get a very good strong coffee. I am a bit of a coffee snob, but a snob who is price sensitive. I found that Costco has a lot of great organic coffee- whole bean. I often grind it at Costco, or bring it home and grind it in my high speed blender. I like using organic, whole bean to avoid the extra chemicals they use to grow the coffee. After strain the coffee - I add a 1/2 tsp of powdered calcium carbonate to neutralize any extra acids.

I love coffee from Costa Rica or Hawaii, and I can get the coffee in Costco, for app $5-6 per pound. I personally like medium roast. Dark roast feels more bitter to me, and i have to use some sweetener. The cold brew med roast - it is great as it is.

I decided to get a SS filter - since i can easily wa**** in my dishwasher. The Bali 64 oz jars - are relatively inexpensive and knowing me- when i brake it - they are easy to replaced.

I often make my coffee over the weekend, and i often have 2 jars "brewing". then jut put the strained coffee in smaller glass bottles and use as needed.

The coffee grounds can be used as a fertilizer, or in composting. Or - since i use organic coffee - I make my own body scrub with coffee grinds. Most of the time - I toss the coffee grounds.

You can buy the 1/2 gallon pack of 6 Bali jars for less than $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0041SWYFQ/ref=olp_t wister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=0&mv_size_name=5&mv_style _name=0&qid=1535045028&sr=1-4

I hope I'll start making Kombutcha soon. But one thing at a time. No?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Janet P.
on 8/24/18 10:01 am

We just got a cold brew dispenser in my office. When the company that's providing the dispenser gave their demonstration, they mentioned that cold brew coffee has twice the caffeine as regular coffee, so please make sure you're all getting in plenty of water during the day in addition to your cold brew coffee.

End of PSA :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Partlypollyanna
on 8/24/18 10:10 am
RNY on 02/14/18

That's why i love it!! (well, that and it's so much smoother!) Definitely can't drink it in the afternoon though.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Renren
on 8/28/18 9:43 am
VSG on 12/02/15

A french press works great for this. Let finely ground coffee soak over night a room temp, and press it in the morning.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

BattlecryForever
on 9/1/18 3:36 pm

I thought cold brew/iced coffee was just hot coffee that you put in the fridge for an hour. No wonder mine tastes like ****!