Drink your water...

momyshaver
on 8/20/18 11:45 am
VSG on 06/28/17
On August 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, PCBR wrote:

Adding fiber back in has been tough. I have lots of restriction at this stage and often run out of space before I get to the veggie bit of my meals. What's crucial is that if one adds fiber, they also add water. Fiber with insufficient hydration can cause blockages.

Do you like/tolerate any foods that could pull double duty? Like lentils/beans etc? I get what you are saying. It is hard to get everything we need to be at our best in so strategy is everything lol

PCBR
on 8/20/18 1:37 pm

Yes! Refried beans and lentils are enjoyed and tolerated, but in small amounts. You're so right about strategy!

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/18 11:46 am

Just be aware that some people constipation can get worse if they add fiber.

"If it a'int broke - don't fix it". If you get good BM with out fiber- don't try to push fiber at any cost. read below my answer to jester..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PCBR
on 8/20/18 1:41 pm

That's interesting! Around the 2-month mark, I finally became regular again, with not that much fiber. I believe the difference maker is that this is around when I started really upping my liquids and incorporating fats here and there.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

momyshaver
on 8/20/18 12:33 pm
VSG on 06/28/17
On August 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, PCBR wrote:

Adding fiber back in has been tough. I have lots of restriction at this stage and often run out of space before I get to the veggie bit of my meals. What's crucial is that if one adds fiber, they also add water. Fiber with insufficient hydration can cause blockages.

Do you like/tolerate any foods that could pull double duty? Like lentils/beans etc? I get what you are saying. It is hard to get everything we need to be at our best in so strategy is everything lol

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/18 11:43 am, edited 8/20/18 4:44 am

Fiber can be good for some and not good for others. I have to be very careful with fiber.

Too much fiber for me =severe pain and constipation even if I drink enough water and take other things that should help BM.

But you don't need to trust my personal opinions since there was a publish paper about the

"Stopping or reducing dietary fiber intake reduces constipation and its associated symptoms"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GrammySusan
on 8/24/18 7:47 pm

Thank you for posting this article! I have Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation and i was really hoping it would improve when i get sleeved. Perhaps with mostly protein and low carbs it may improve. I already learned the hard way to stay clear of high fiber anything! Yes, i get the pun! Hahahahahahaha

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/18 8:45 pm

The best way to deal with my IBS-C long term post op WLS- in intermittent fasting. I ear dolid foods between 1 -9 pm. I push a lot of no calories liquids from 6:30 am until app 1 pm. If I don't get good BM in the morning, that day I often chose to eat more fat, or more slider foods. Something that would not add to the other "leftovers" in my gut.

If you have not, read on SIBO. Very interesting IMO.

sweetpotato1959
on 8/27/18 12:02 pm, edited 8/27/18 5:04 am

If you have not already tried it, try adding probiotics... I had to use triple doses to get initial results. after a week I was able to reduce the amounts drastically, so much so that i use a NON MSG meat tenderier on meats and eggs to aid digestion.

I also use a Herb for my enzyme replacement as a tea. It is called Sweet Everlasting.I(It grows wild in the southeast esp)I use about 10 leaves and a two inch peice of stem in peppermint tea..usually once a week and it has increased my tolerance of a range of foods. I learned about this herb from a posting by "The Southern Herbalist"Darryl Patton

I have not added beans back in to diet yet, last 4 times I ate dried or refried I had gastritis.( This is a personal response to a surgery done many years ago.. so not an issue for everyone, but those with gastric problems may benefit from this info...therefore i post..)

Denise
VSGAnn2014
on 8/20/18 2:11 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Excellent point, Jester, on the value of fiber.

Just to brag :) yesterday my foods contained 32 grams of fiber, thanks to 10 servings of high-fibrous (mostly) veggies and (a couple of) fruits.

Veggies and fruits don't have to be high-carb or high-cal. I don't remember when I last ate a banana or a baked potato. But I eat carrots, green beans, kale, other greens and lettuces, onions, blueberries, and strawberries almost every day. My mouth is watering even as I type this.

The only high-calorie "fruit" i indulge in is avocado (usually half an avocado/day), but that's a food that offers so very much nutrition for its calories.

I also manage to get 100 grams of protein most days, too.

I eat SO DIFFERENTLY now than I did over four years ago when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now. Lord, what was I thinking?!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.