Can't taste chocolate!

TheWombat
on 8/18/18 7:41 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Ever since surgery, I have been unable to taste chocolate. All I get is a vague "earthy" sweet flavour. A nice flavour, but nothing to write home about. Have others experienced this? Does the taste come back? I'd be very happy if the taste never comes back; I'm just curious what to expect.

For those of you wondering what I'm doing eating chocolate, I'm talking about the occasional chocolate-flavoured protein bar or protein shake. I'm not eating candy bars! Since I can't taste the chocolate flavour, I've moved on to other flavours for these items.

Haley_Martinez
on 8/18/18 8:31 am
RNY on 05/03/18

I've not tried chocolate since surgery, so I don't know about that one. I do know that chocolate protein shakes/bars do taste different than other forms of chocolate (cookies, cakes, candy, etc) so if you're looking for that kinds of chocolate taste from protein shakes, I don't think it's ever going to be the same.

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/18/18 9:17 am

The only time I can taste real chocolate is in dark to cry dark chocolate, or in some rather high quality milk chocolate. But even now, over 0 years post op - milk chocolate - I can mostly taste sugar.

Even early on, when I was craving chocolate, I would get a very small piece of 75-85% dark chocolate. Very often just a very small square was more than ebenou to satisfy my cravings.

In addition -chocolate cravings may indicate low level of magnesium in body tissue. Lab work only show magnesium level in the blood, but like with calcium - our body needs proper level of calcium and magnesium in the blood, do when we don't get enough - it pills that from our bones and tissue.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/18/18 9:18 am

To add: diminish ability to taste foods sometimes ate a symptom of low zinc, or other minerals.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VSGAnn2014
on 8/18/18 3:58 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Wombat, you're still early out post-op. It's likely your tastebuds will change a lot in the coming few years. Mine certainly have changed in multiple ways since VSG surgery 4 years ago.

Happily I can indeed taste chocolate. Dark chocolate is also my favorite. I don't eat it often, but I sure do like it when I do. :)

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

diane S.
on 8/19/18 11:34 am

Coco powder is an expensive ingredient and I think the makers of shakes and such skimp on the stuff or even use artificial flavor. I found chocolate shakes to be so disgustingly sweet that I would add teaspoon of unsweetened coco powder to them. Tasted more bitter and much better. But tastes do change and some things I used to hate I now like and vice versa. I like chocolate now but am no longer the junky I once was. ds

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/