Can we talk? Obesity and Career Choices

Kathy S.
on 8/17/18 7:35 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thank you for sharing and I am so glad you are in a firm now that appreciates the great work you do not what size is your jacket. Sadly, you are right our bodies do get to the point (no matter what extra burden we put on it) where it starts to break down. I know it sounds cleshay but when I turned 40 my body said pay back time

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 8/19/18 9:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

While on one hand I never noticed when I was obese that I was being held back at all, by myself or others.

What I did notice on the other hand, though, was when I lost weight, I was being noticed by leadership for the same accomplishments I'd achieved while obese. I brought this up to my director at the time and he just smiled and said "they're finally seeing what I've seen in you all along and I like it". I took that compliment and never looked back from there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy S.
on 8/20/18 10:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Great insight Valerie and congratulations on your success

Jester
on 8/20/18 10:51 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

I never felt my weight held me back in my career, but it definitely impacted me on a regular basis (for all the reasons discussed here regularly). The main ones were that travel sucked, and I had a lot of travel while obese and building my career. And business dinners could be very stressful, as I never knew if I would fit in a booth, which could be incredibly embarrassing.

Since I am at the level/job I desire since losing weight, I have no desire for further promotion/career advancement, so it's hard to say if being at a normal weight would help with those goals; however, I doubt it as I have been extremely fortunate in my career despite the morbid obesity.

Kathy S.
on 8/20/18 3:46 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I have to agree on the travel, when you have to do it often and larger than the average passenger it's exhausting to say the least...

cmarylose
on 8/20/18 12:03 pm

I'm a bit late to the game... Held back? Lack of recognition? How about doing the work but never being put out in front? Yes. Yes. Yes. Obesity held me back and I still reached the senior VP level. I cannot help but wonder where I could have gone had I not carried that weight with me.

On the other hand... this has given me great insight into others - encouraged me to see beyond the obvious with the people around me... actually to look for the people others passed over. I always ended up with the most skilled and productive team.

But part of me wonders about the path I wasn't permitted to take...

"Well behaved women rarely make history!"  Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

Kathy S.
on 8/20/18 3:47 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Kudos to you for what you accomplished!

Mellywog
on 8/21/18 7:34 am
RNY on 06/17/19

I completely agree with you. I hate interviews and even more so now that I am so overweight. I will wait until after surgery before I will put myself through another interview. For now, I will stay where I am.

Kathy S.
on 8/21/18 2:03 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. We look forward to your updates

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/18 10:09 am

Interesting question.... I do think I was abused criticized and challenged more because I was an overweight woman. Take your pick about why.