Need help

Librarian67
on 8/13/18 3:13 am, edited 8/12/18 8:16 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Good morning and congratulations for checking in.

Here is my take on things: first, yes, it is much harder to lose the weight now but it is possible, as others have answered. It will be slow and take more commitment, but you can do it!

You need to go back to your original plan. High protein (80-100g), very low carb (20-30g) and LOTS of fluids (at least 100 oz and more like 150; you can count non-caloric options other than water such as ice tea, PowerAde Zero, Crystal Light, etc.).

Edited to add that you can't be honest and accountable about what you are eating and drinking unless you measure and log EVERYTHING that passes your lips. No guesses, no estimates, no assuming. Be honest and make changes to your habits based on the facts.

You need support and accountability to get through this. WW is a great organization, but it's guidelines and points system are not designed for post-WLS. Their guidelines allow way too many carbs and not enough protein, so being on plan for WW is not the best for you. You can use the support system if that helps, but I encourage you to log into the RNY Menu Thread daily for additional support. These people have been through the same things and may have ideas for you. Also seeing what others are eating and doing may give you practical ideas.

While exercise may not MAKE you lose weight by burning lots of extra calories, it will help your overall health, tone your body and help with cravings. Vigorous walking is great and not to be dismissed. Start some weight-strength training to tone your body, build muscle and strengthen your bones. I also find that the vigorous exercise helps me mentally and helps me feel stronger and more confident in my body.

You can do this. It will be slow and more difficult than it was in the initial months, but you can do it!

Hope to see you on the menu thread!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Kathy S.
on 8/14/18 1:22 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Ditto on what everyone said! And be sure and hang out on the RNY Forum support and the daily meal thread. Great way to get some ideas on what to eat

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 70 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Irishnana
on 8/14/18 2:46 pm
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks so much Kathy for your response. I plan on using this site for help and guidance. There are many good ideas here. I do plan my meals and I journal, since my nutritionist checks it all the time. Not so good with the water but as of now am drinking at least 3 bottle a day, better than before. Moving, not so much. Really need to get better with that. Sorry to say but the nutritionist that used to run our support group moved to SC and they just grabbed someone from the hospital that wants to make a little extra cash. The members basically run the group so much of the information is really what worked for a particular person not what we should really be doing. My surgeon seems to have dropped the ball also. Gain a few pounds and he wants you to take diet pills!! No way. So I will work on some more things and for sure check this site daily.

Kathy S.
on 8/15/18 2:45 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Please stay in touch as we all are here for you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130