Suggestions for starting exercise.

kc574
on 8/11/18 6:00 am - Bristol, IN

I am one month post-op today and just got the all clear to return to the gym. I had been totally sedentary, but did become active before surgery. I could not even walk 1/8 of a mile at first - my back and knees killed me! I decided to step WAY BEYOND my comfort zone and do water aerobics, it was the only thing I could do that would get my body moving that wouldn't be so painful. After a couple months I was able to start walking and before too long physical activity was something I enjoyed and my body needed.

Everyone here has great advice, I just thought I'd chime in as well.

I also bought a simply fit board from Amazon. It's around $30 and gives a decent workout. You can just stand and twist in front of the TV for while. I'd do anywhere from a couple minutes to a 30 minute workout. I haven't used it since surgery, but plan to start. It is simple and just gets you moving, it also helped me with balance. There are some YouTube videos with workouts that really kick my butt - I'd have to rest half way through and not do everything she was doing. But it can be as light or intense as you want it to be.

Today I'm making my first return to the gym since surgery, I'm not sure how it's going to go but I plan on taking it easy. I've already incorporated walking back into my normal routine so this is my next step.

I know I'm not ready for a fitness class yet either. I'll be returning to water aerobics in a couple weeks, but our class is not one that you have to keep up with everyone at the same time --- you can work at your own pace.

Someone mentioned not looking at it as exercise, and I agree --- I think if you just work on moving more, increasing your daily steps, just getting your body used to moving you'll be able to work up to exercise and those fitness classes you mentioned.

Best wishes to you as you begin this new part of your life!

Laura in Texas
on 8/11/18 6:17 am

I agree with the others who said focus on being more active. I love my fitbit. I don't always carry my phone with me so an activity tracker works better for me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Julia S.
on 8/11/18 10:25 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I was simply exhausted for about the first four months after surgery. It wasn't until just recently that I feel like I have any energy. I started walking in the mornings and now I'm up to 50 minutes. It seem counter-intuitive but the more you move the more energy you have.

I used to work with a personal trainer before surgery and she really helped me. She pushed me beyond what I thought I could do. If you can afford it and find someone that you like I would recommend it. But there are so many things you can do without a gym. The support group I go to had a handout on the 7 minute workout, and also ways to modify it. Look it up online, or there are apps that show it. I still can't do all of it, but it's a place to start. There are also lots of videos and on demand that you can try.

As I walk I see lots of people who run or bike and what I realized is that we are all on our own personal journey toward fitness. No two people are alike, and I do the best I can for me and don't expect myself to do what I see others do. So enjoy your journey!

But most of all be kind to yourself.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8

Liz J.
on 8/16/18 12:45 pm, edited 8/16/18 5:45 am
DS on 11/29/16

We went on a road trip across county at about 9 months out and that's when I started walking. I walked as much as possible during that trip and it felt great. When we got bac****pt walking trying to get my steps up to 8,000 a day. Then a few months later, just after my year mark I started going to the gym. I know weight train 3x a week, walk 12,000 (5 miles) every day, and take a zumba class.

I'm currently almost at 21 months out and have surpassed all my goals, even my 3 and 5 year goal. I'm so happy and really enjoy walking. Last week my husband and I got bikes to add to our workouts.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Partlypollyanna
on 8/16/18 6:12 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

You may be my exercise hero!!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Liz J.
on 8/21/18 9:16 am
DS on 11/29/16

Honestly, I love the positive reinforcement that my Apple watch gives me when I reach my goals for the day! Also, I'm in a 100 Day Challenge group that really helps me stay on track. we have daily, weekly, and other regular check ins. We also do stepping stone goals. (you start small and slowly increase your goals, you're more successful then if you start with big goals.)

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147