Any Tips/Advice for Flying While Obese?

rosebud805
on 8/6/18 10:23 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I was hoping to possibly get some advice for an upcoming work trip I have in mid September.

I'm about 485 lbs and my company is sending me on a mandatory work trip. I live in California and will be traveling to Virginia. Fortunately they have so kindly offered to pay for 2 seats for my airline travels. However, I am still apprehensive about traveling. To be quite honest one of the main things that I am nervous about is the comfort of those around me. I am grateful for the extra seat but know I will need to ask for a seat belt extender. I've read horror stories of overweight people being humiliated on airplanes and the discomfort they faced due to narrow rows and seats. This keeps me up at night and sometimes I want to cancel my trip. But unfortunately I cancelled this trip last year already and my job relies on me attending this class in Virginia.

I would love to hear any tips or feedback on how to make this go as smoothly as possible.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/6/18 11:10 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You can buy your own seatbelt extender online, if you don't want to ask for one. There are different types, so you'll need to know which airline you'll be flying.

Get the 2 seats next to the window, so you won't need to let someone by.

Don't drink too much, so you won't need to use the plane's bathroom.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 8/7/18 12:13 am

Even when the seatbelt fits I still ask for an extender. You will be riding in style with 2 seats and an extender!

I've never been embarrassed and never been given shame about extenders.

I will tell you that seat belts are much longer in first class. Maybe one first class ticket would be close in price to 2 regular ones

Insert Fitness
on 8/7/18 3:02 am

I flew a few times at my highest weight. While never fun, it was always fine.

the aisles are narrow, but I just shuffled down sideways. Guaranteed you will not be the only obese person on your flight.

As grim said, you can buy an extender, but I always just flagged an attendant as soon as I boarded, and they were usually discrete and always very accommodating. I even had one palm me an extender before I even asked for it. He is still one of my favourite humans ever haha.

The tray might not sit flat,depending on how your belly is shaped when sitting. So pack snacks accordingly, if you think might be too self conscious to accept a meal.

Also, depending on the plane, the headphone jack might be on the inside of the arm rest. In my case, if I plugged in head phones, it dug into my thigh, and I couldn't control the volume without standing up. So I travelled with a tablet and watched shows and read on it instead.

also, pack strategically. I put anything I might needduring the flight in my purse/ tote bag that would sit under the seat in front of me. And to beable to reach it, i Made sure I could hook my foot around the strap and drag to me, and just had to lean forward a bit to grab it. That meant I never has to get up and access my carry on in the overhead.

And lastly, you are just as entitled to board that plane as anyone else. We are all allowed to live our lives and be in public spaces, and have successful careers.

Good luck and safe travels.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Gwen M.
on 8/7/18 9:39 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is really super advice.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MarinaGirl
on 8/7/18 4:35 am

Great tips from everyone! I would also add check a bag so you bring on as little as possible. I find not having to fumble with the overhead bin a lot less stressful. And wear tops that are easy to get on and off in case you need to shed or put on a layer during the flight. And adjusting the fan on you at the very beginning of the flight is helpful.

Good luck! You can do this!

Partlypollyanna
on 8/7/18 4:53 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I've flown a lot MO and the only thing I would add is

I've flown a lot MO and the only thing I would add is: If you are really anxious, see if you can get pre board status and give yourself a bit more time to get situated. You can also look up your flight/plane on seat guru and get actual measurements to compare to your own so you know exactly what to expect.

Good luck with your class and try not to stress about the flight!

FWIW- i did buy my own extenders (in the various styles), I put my initials on them in nail polish, in case anyone noticed me putting it in my bag at landing. The belts are different lengths on the planes themselves, some airlines I would need one, some I wouldn't. I never had any problem getting on when I forgot mine though, just caught an eye and made the universal "clicking a seatbelt sign" and they'd bring one by.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

PCBR
on 8/7/18 7:13 am

Like Insert Fitness said: You have a right to take up space in this world. I'd rather sit by an MO person on a plane than a loud person, a mean person, or one of those guys who "man spreads".

It might put your mind at ease if you were a bit early for the flight and spoke to the gate agent about your concerns and to get everything arranged before you get on the plane (and to make sure they don't try to sell your extra seat).

I hope you kick ass on your business trip and rock that class! You must be valuable, because employers don't like to invest travel dollars unless that employee is well worth it. Sounds like you are!

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

CherriesInTheSnow
on 8/7/18 11:39 am

You can also quietly ask the attendant if you can keep the extender - chances are they'll say yes. That's how I got mine.

CitS

Kathy S.
on 8/7/18 1:08 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Rose,

I feel you! I use to fly all the time for work and with being 300+ it was a nightmare for me and had anxiety attacks. Everyone has covered most suggestions but I will give you my experience.

Check with your PCP before flying. Touch base with your doctor especially since you are flying coast to coast. If you have diabetes and or other health issues you just want to make sure.

Go EARLY! Seriously, give yourself time in case your gate is changed and you have to walk from one end of the airport to the other. I would walk up to the desk and let them know I needed pre boarding and as soon as they knew there was going to be a gate change to let me know. I could not walk that far and asked them to get me a ride. beep, beep LOL I missed a flight because I could not walk fast enough once.

I flew a lot so I carried my own extender, but if this is a one time fly until you hit goal ask for one and don't feel bad.

Ask to pre-board. Trust me, we walk slow, have to maneuver down the isles sideways and we take longer to just get seated. I had to raise the arms of all the chairs to climb in and the last thing we need is people huffing and puffing behind us because we are "slow". This way you can get on, maneuver, get seated and not have that extra pressure.

I tied a ribbon on the handle of my purse/bag. You have to put it under the seat in front of us and I was so big I could not bend down to reach it and my legs were so big could not move my feet very well. I untied the bow and made sure it was in a knot and kicked it under the seat keeping the end of the ribbon in my hand. In air, I just pulled on the ribbon.

Tray for me was not even a possibility. It only went down 1/3 and hit my stomach. I never ate on the plane because of that. I put snacks in my purse/bag if I was hungry. I sipped as little as possible and always went to the bathroom before getting on the plane. It's as bad as you have heard. I never, ever went in there as I would not come out.

I always sat by the window since I could not move very fast or fit in the isle to move for others.

Do you have the power to purchase your tickets? If so, most airlines show you online the size of their seats. Check it out and snag the largest ones. Some are bigger than others.

Carry on verses checking luggage. I tried both and this is what worked best for "me". I packed as little as possible and did the carry on. I had issues with walking and standing, the less the better. Wheel chair was an option but I was not going to go there. With the carry on I could go from point A - B and moved faster through the lines. With boarding early I was able to put the bag above and get in my seat before anyone came on board. I could not handle walking to the baggage area and standing waiting for the bag. Now if you need to pack more than a carry on, utilize the sidewalk check in.

One last point about carry on vs check in, one trip they lost my bags. With me wearing 26/28 sizes I was not able to find my sizes in the stores and ended up having to wear the same clothes I flew in. Not cool as I was wearing comfortable. It was a nightmare as I am sure people were thinking why can't she go out and buy something? Lane Bryant where were you? LOL Luckily we have more choices today.

Lastly, always wear comfortable clothes and light weight. Let's be honest we sweat just thinking about moving. By the time we walk through the lines, messing with our shoes and get to the gate we are soaked. No one wants to be near us. Add trying to get to our seats made it worst. You know what clothes are best for you.

If I have not given you an anxiety attack by now, I did this and did it often and I survived and you can too. Feel confident, make the choices that are right for you and don't let ANYONE make you feel less than! Enjoy, good luck and we would love to hear from you when you get back

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130