Buy whatever size...

Jester
on 8/6/18 10:26 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

Given I never wear women's clothing, I can't say men's is just as bad, but it's bad. I have pants ranging from a 29" waist to a 32" waist. It's ridiculous when the measurement is supposed to be AN ACTUAL MEASUREMENT. Except it's not.

Here is an interesting article about men's pant sizes (spoiler - the average man has a 38"-40" waist, but the most commonly sold pant size is a 34"). The article goes on to state that pants run an average of 1"-1.5" larger than the printed size, with Old Navy running up to 5" larger!

I also wear shirts in S, M and L. In fact, my S dress shirt is one of the baggiest work shirts I own. It's ridiculous.

And I find that t-shirts consistently run smaller than other clothing types across all brands. I wear 80% size L in T-shirts, and 80% M in dress shirts. (I wear casual work shirts, which is why I don't buy "measured" shirts, which are done by neck size and arm length, although I suspect they are no less accurate/consistent)

Valerie G.
on 8/5/18 8:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you looked at the tags of my jeans hanging in the closet, you'd see a range of size 8 to size 12. I don't care as long as my butt looks good.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Teresa G.
on 8/5/18 3:37 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

At least you have a butt! LOL

I need some of those panties with the built-in butt.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Teresa G.
on 8/5/18 3:34 pm, edited 8/5/18 8:35 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I can't wait until I can get in a pair of men's Levi 501 red tag again. Back (waaaay back) in the day they always fit my shape perfectly before I became obese...they have no butt to speak of and they're not nipped in at the waist. Women's pants are a pain for me...if they fit well in the waist then the ass is hanging down past my thighs and if it fits in the butt, it's so tight around the waist that my breathing and circulation is constricted.

I have (or I had) pretty much a straight up and down body shape, with no real defined waist or much of a butt to speak of. Butt I started getting fat at about 17-18 and was obese by the time I was in my early 20's.

It will be interesting to see what my shape is once I get to where I'd like to be. I don't know where that is yet...but I'm only 56 lbs from my first goal. I'm sure that all the extra skin is going to make finding well-fitting clothes interesting. Now if only I could move my belly around to my butt... LOL

*edited to correct how many pounds I need to lose to reach my first goal*

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

MarinaGirl
on 8/6/18 7:33 am, edited 8/6/18 12:37 am

I have a straighter body shape and find the clothes at J Crew and Banana Republic fit me well. I am currently size 0-4 depending on the clothing item.

Note that JC & BR always have sales so I NEVER pay full price!

PCBR
on 8/5/18 8:01 pm

For anyone who has trouble finding the right fit, I highly recommend eshakti.com. They will customize your tops and dresses by your measurement and preferences. For instance, if you find a dress that you love, except it's short sleeved (maybe you hate your arms), you can request longer sleeves. Most of my orders have come within 14 days and the fee to customize is $9. Prices are on par with Banana Republic or similar, and you can return anything (even if you customized it)

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

peachpie
on 8/6/18 3:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Oh, that site has so.many.cute.things!! At first I wasn't gonna look cause I feel like banana republic is extortionist expensive-- but this was reasonable.

I do not need another dress, I do not need another dress!!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

PCBR
on 8/6/18 10:23 am

Keep an eye on the site for when they have a promotion for new customers: It's usually $20 o $30 off your first order.

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/18 4:59 am

What a great site! Looks like some nice dresses and tops! Love the way you can customize. I will have to try one next time I want to treat myself. Thank you!

PCBR
on 8/6/18 10:44 am

I've used them mostly for special occasion dresses. I love that the sizing is 0-36, because I love any company that recognizes that all women should have a chance to wear beautiful clothes.