Question for those who eat keto

kamac
on 8/2/18 1:43 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Do you drink ketoade?

I'm only 3 weeks post-op and keeping my carbs very low. I've been well under 20g per day, with 80-100g protein, and very low fat and very low sodium because I'm still mostly eating protein shakes (egg white protein powder with water and almond milk) and Greek yogurt.

A few days ago I started making ketoade to help with my headaches and general fatigue. I add 1/2tsp pink Himalayan salt, 1/2 tsp potassium (Windsor Salt Free), and 1-2tsp liquid magnesium citrate to 32oz of water, plus some Mio lemonade flavouring.

I believe it's helping me feel a lot better.

What's nagging at me is I didn't clear this with my bariatric center. Mostly because the dietician wants me eating carbs (she's against low carb eating), and I figure she'd just tell me to eat Cream of Wheat or blend peaches into my shakes or something instead of drinking this homemade electrolyte drink.

I know this doesn't replace medical advice, but is there any reason I shouldn't be drinking this? Do you make it, find it helps? What's your recipe?

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Gwen M.
on 8/2/18 2:48 pm, edited 8/2/18 7:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This reads like it's homemade gatorade, right? Lots of us drink gatorade with no ill effects, so I can't see why this wouldn't be okay!

The human body needs salt to function, something "regular" people get through all the processed foods in the standard American diet, but that we don't really get in our way of eating. I'm glad you've found something that's helping!

Of course, it might also just be correlation because you're healing and adapting to post-op life and that's probably helping you to feel better too :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kamac
on 8/2/18 6:58 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Yep, that's it exactly. Some keto folks drink a sugar free gatorade, but homemade is much cheaper!

It's true, there's so much sodium in processed foods. When you cut out the junk food, you actually have to make sure you get enough sodium. Especially in this heat!

Agree on the healing bit, too. It's hard to believe my surgery was only 3 1/2 weeks ago. It feels like it was months ago. It's easy to forget I'm still healing and adjusting.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

califsleevin
on 8/2/18 4:13 pm - CA

I avoided diets like that specifically to avoid side effects such as you are going through (I couldn't afford them.) Yes, I had oatmeal and mashed potatoes during that time and made my protein shakes with real milk, and never had headaches or fatigue problems, nor did it impair my weight loss.

If you like that kind of diet, that is fine once you get through these transitions but in the mean time it is best to work with your medical team - understand what they want and why, and work with them if you want to deviate. There are usually reasons for what they specify, even if we don't understand or like them. There are times that I have had to do a low fiber (aka "wonder bread") diet - white flour, white rice, no peels, no whole grains - most of the crap food that makes us feel like crap and promotes weight gain. But it has a specific purpose for a specific time so I put up with it and then go back to normal when medically permitted.

Note to those who are lurking and researching - if you are into some of these diets and think that you want to continue them through your WLS days and into the long term, search out a WLS program that is into the same kind of dieting as you are. Surgeons and programs have differing philosophies on different related subjects, and you will find the best support if you find a compatible program. There are surgeons out there who are vegan/vegetarian themselves or vegan friendly who can help those who are so inclined; likewise there some who are seriously into the low carb thing, and then a large group who are simply healthy eating and living oriented.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

kamac
on 8/2/18 7:08 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Good point about certain diets having a specific purpose for a specific time. I do keep trying to remind myself that I'm still recovering from surgery, my sleeve is still healing, and I need to be patient.

I think when it comes to diet, everyone needs to work out what works best for them. When I eat something like mashed potatoes, I can't stop. Maybe someday in the future, when I'm in maintenance, I'll be able to have a few bites at Thanksgiving and stop. But for now, being a heavyweight and a sugar & starchy carb addict, I feel it's best for me to cut out grains and starches completely. When I'm past the fluid stage, and can get more meat and fat into my diet, I'm sure I'll feel better. And my ketoade is helping too.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

crqvingchange
on 8/2/18 4:32 pm

Vega sells sleeves for your purse called Hydrate Electrolytes. They have 2 flavours, lemon/lime and berry. They taste very much like KoolAid and are sugar free. Just add a sleeve to water. I find that I can add one sleeve to 32oz and it tastes alright. Until Aug. 8 Sobey's has them and the Vega SF energizer on sale (79 cents and 1.29 for the energizer) in the health dept. I stocked up.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 8/2/18 7:09 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Oh, good tip CC. Thank you! I'm going to check it out.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Cathy H.
on 8/2/18 6:57 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I've been Keto since 5.5 months post op, but would not have done it prior to that. First, doing Keto right means high fat, which requires more calories than we need during our major weight loss phase. I did the normal high protein, low fat, low carb that most post-op programs recommend, but more like under 50g carbs per day, not 20g like I do now.

I have never used a ketoade or keto drink. I get everything I need in the food I eat and bariatric regimen of vitamins and supplements. My numbers have been good so far, we'll see what they are at my 2 year checkup in November.

I'm not saying the Keto way of eating (I don't use the word diet because that means a temporary change to me, which Keto is not it's the way I eat now) isn't a good option, but I just don't think it gives you what you need this early out if you try to keep your ratios where they are supposed to be (65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs). You should be focusing on protein and liquids for the first 3 months at least, IMHO.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

kamac
on 8/2/18 7:36 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks, Cathy! I was hoping you'd chime in, because I know from your posts you do keto.

Maybe I should give some thought to upping my carbs a bit, at least for the time being. My focus has definitely been water and protein. I figured I'd feel better as I move to purees, which allows me to incorporate some fats like cheese and avocado.

I guess I'm nervous about allowing myself oatmeal or fruit. I'm afraid that circuit in my brain will get switched on, the one that lights up and urges me to keep eating, keep eating, whenever I eat something sweet or starchy.

I've been reading up on low calorie keto, and keto specifically for weight-loss, and came across the suggestion that if your body is high in fat, you don't need to focus on making your diet high in fat. Just focus on protein and low carb, and use fat as a means to keep satiated. I think that's how I'd like to approach my eating plan. I guess it's not classic keto, but still keto in the sense that the low carbs should induce ketotis and fat burning.

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Cathy H.
on 8/2/18 8:23 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

If you don't want to eat oatmeal or fruit, then don't! Even before I went keto, I didn't eat those things because I was a major carboholic (and consider myself one in remission only, never cured!). So even in the beginning I kept my carbs low because I had been diagnosed Type 2 diabetic 2 years prior to my WLS. I just found it better for me to keep my carbs in the low glycemic index area, so it was all about leafy greens and staying away from things like mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and things like that. So the transition to Keto when I was ready was easy to do.

The important thing now is to get in the protein you need for your body to heal, and keeping your carbs lower and eating only healthy carbs. I didn't eat much fruit prior to keto simply because it was all really high in carbs and more calories than I was willing to give to something that wouldn't make me feel full like protein does.

A lot of people here advocate learning to limit things like bread and pasta, etc. I know that I can't do that, so I chose to eliminate them permanently from my life, and Keto was the best way for me to do that. I feel like all of those things were what got me to 360 pounds, and they are evil, so why would I want them in my life now? Eat healthy foods, stay low carb, get in your fluids and enough protein to heal well, then see what you want to do at your 6-month mark. You can always fully adopt the Keto WOE (way of eating), and if you keep up the way you are now, it will be an easy transition for you too.

Best of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL