New Here and need some help

Melody P.
on 7/29/18 6:13 pm - Amarillo, TX

Welcome!

Premier protein for me too. The premixed stuff. I have found that powders, if not mixed well, make me want to throw up. I've used blenders and mixing bottles but if there is one clump....eck.

GNC has lean protein shakes pre mixed that are ok. A bit pricier but you can get good deals every once in a while. They have seasonal special editions that i'm hoping to try more of. Orange creamsicle is the summer one and it is good for a change but I still prefer premier.

Mel

PCBR
on 7/29/18 7:04 pm

Melody, FYI the Isopure powder mixes incredibly well. I've mixed in a ninja blender, ninja single serve cup, and with a shaker bottle. Zero clumps. I'm with you, finding a clump is just ick.

HW: 260 - SW: 250

GW (Surgeon): 170 - GW (Me): 150

Trigna
on 7/30/18 4:57 am
RNY on 11/29/13 with

Good luck! It can be tough, especially at first, but WLS was my best decision ever.

I vote for Matrix mint cookie or peanut butter cookie shake powder. I think they're made by the same company as Syntrax Nectar.

at first, I would say Unjury shakes. They messed the least with my tummy. They even had a chicken soup and cheesy sauce variety. Super convenient after surgery when you have ran out of bone broth in the freezer and don't feel like cooking. (Broth was my clear liquid diet lifesaver before and after surgery!)

Nowadays, I love Click espresso protein powder in my coffee.

Writergurl08
on 7/30/18 6:15 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I like caramel or vanilla Premier Protein shakes used as creamer in my coffee (many surgeons will want you switching to decaf if you're a regular coffee drinker).

I suggest buying sample packets of different shakes and brands for now, whenever you can find them. Don't commit to buying a large tub of anything because your tastes may change after surgery and you don't want to be stuck with something you won't drink! Premier ready-to-drink shakes come in 4 packs, so that's a small enough amount (you can buy cases at sams club or Costco later if you like them). You can buy sample packets of Unjury brand shakes at their website...get some chicken soup flavored ones too. You might crave the salty/savory during your liquid phase. You can also find a sample variety pack of Syntrax brand on Amazon.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Partlypollyanna
on 7/30/18 7:05 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I am thankful every day that I only had to give up caffeine for a week (and my team mates are even more thankful, I think), lol

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Writergurl08
on 7/30/18 7:38 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I gave up caffeine 30 days prior, and at 3 months was allowed no more than 2 cups of caffeinated coffee (or tea) daily and I can't count them in my daily fluids (but I can count decaf as fluids). I can live with that :)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Partlypollyanna
on 7/30/18 8:14 am, edited 7/30/18 1:15 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I could make that work! I am a two cups girl anyway. It is still fascinating how the rules are all different - I was doing exactly that, not counting my caffeinated drinks as fluid, but I was counting the PP and they had me switch it. So now I count anything water based, plus my occasional fairlife but not the RTD shakes. It?s all a learning process!

edited to add for the OP - don't let the fact that many programs have different rules stress you out, go with your doctors program until you have enough knowledge to modify (it's really important to stick to their program before and while healing). This group will give you lots of knowledge for the future!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen