Pescatarian much ?

Partlypollyanna
on 7/25/18 2:27 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I think this is an disregarded element in a lot of conversations around diet. Outside of the issue of food desert/access to "options" another element is that lower SES can mean you learn better choices/get access to better later in life -- after you're already behind the eight ball (sick, overweight, etc).

When you grow up eating high carb meals because noodles are cheap and a package of egg noodles, half lb of ground beef with some cheap cheese on it will be a couple of meals for the family, you have to 1) move into a financial position where that's not the only option; 2) be secure enough in that position you can stop looking at what's cheap and filling and begin to make better choices; 3) sustain 1 and 2 and then you can look at the additional benefits of pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, etc.

I know there is starting to be more research into these areas so I'm going to have to look for it.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Partlypollyanna
on 7/25/18 2:15 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Don't the blue zone populations also tend to have higher day to day exercise as well? I know I'm thinking specifically of some of the greek communities but I think that has a high commonality as well but could be wrong, it's been a few years since I've read it. I think I recall the lack of processed foods and the physical activity as being common.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Jester
on 7/25/18 4:28 pm
RNY on 03/21/16 with

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Most of them are naturally active due to their lifestyle, and even in Loma Linda, CA which is not necessarily any different in day to day lifestyle than the rest of southern CA, they heavily stress physical fitness as part of the Adventist religion.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/18 7:10 am, edited 7/28/18 12:10 am

This is a truly interesting conversation!