Report: Multivitamin-mineral supplements do not reduce heart disease, deaths

Laura in Texas
on 7/11/18 5:06 pm

Multivitamin-mineral supplements do not reduce heart disease, deaths

I saw this on the news yesterday. I hope no one here uses this as an excuse to NOT take their vitamins.

I, for one, never expected my multi-vitamin alone to prevent heart disease. I know my overall good health will help me prevent heart disease whi*****ludes taking my vitamins, healthy eating, keeping my weight in the healthy range, and staying active.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/12/18 5:13 am

Thanks Laura.

In addition - not taking enough of various vitamins and minerals can cause bad health issues, but taking too much of one or many can cause problems. Consistency and regular detailed blood work is critical.

And personal monitoring the values, to see if the "number" is hig- low enough, stable or dropping or increasing over time.

Some numbers need to be mid normal, some high nirmno for most of us to feel good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/12/18 8:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think it's really important to note that this was a review of the GENERAL POPULATION, not bariatric patients. I don't think it's realistic to use studies of non-WLS patients to consider our particular health (and supplementation) needs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!