Eating Disorders after Bariatic Surgery?

NCMTNEER13
on 7/9/18 5:47 am
VSG on 11/26/18

Thank you so much!! The reasons you listed (vomiting is normal with a band, Sjorgens causes vomiting, and bulimia is usually intentional) are exactly the reasons we never thought she might have a eating disorder.

The only problem with a revision, is that her BMI is too low now to qualify for insurance. The only way she could get a revision is if she had the band removed and then gained her weight back. Personally I think she can keep the weight off, after the band is removed, but she is nervous that she won't be able to. I keep telling her that I believe in her keeping it off. My hope is that she can get the band removed about the same time I have my VSG surgery, so she can make the necessary lifestyle changes along with me at the same time.

The challenge is getting her to go to the psychologist. I am going today as part of my pre-surgery requirements. I hope that my visit will encourage her to go as well.

MarinaGirl
on 7/9/18 8:20 am
On July 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Pacific Time, NCMTNEER13 wrote:

Thank you so much!! The reasons you listed (vomiting is normal with a band, Sjorgens causes vomiting, and bulimia is usually intentional) are exactly the reasons we never thought she might have a eating disorder.

The only problem with a revision, is that her BMI is too low now to qualify for insurance. The only way she could get a revision is if she had the band removed and then gained her weight back. Personally I think she can keep the weight off, after the band is removed, but she is nervous that she won't be able to. I keep telling her that I believe in her keeping it off. My hope is that she can get the band removed about the same time I have my VSG surgery, so she can make the necessary lifestyle changes along with me at the same time.

The challenge is getting her to go to the psychologist. I am going today as part of my pre-surgery requirements. I hope that my visit will encourage her to go as well.

We hear from a lot of ex-banders on this forum that when they had their bands removed they gained weight. Why do you think your wife will be able to keep the weight off when the statistics show that only 5% are able to maintain weight loss? With her vomiting history and possible reflux or esophageal damage, the surgery that might be best suited for her is an RNY over a VSG.

I would seek out highly experienced revision bariatric surgeons to get their assessments of how to proceed after she gets a current EGD. And if you eventually determine that her insurance won't cover band removal and RNY, you could consider self-pay in Mexico. Dr. Esquerra at Mexicali Bariatric Center is fantastic.

Note that I have low BMI and am being revised to RNY due to severe reflux, which will be covered by insurance.

Shannon S.
on 7/6/18 6:57 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I thought bulemia was self induced vomiting? To me it sounds like something is anatomically wrong. There is something called esophagitis that can occur from stomach acid 2nd to the vomit. I would push for another EGD to rule out any structural issues.

Very sorry for your wife. As a former lapband survivor I recommend you get that "thing" the hell out of her, get her well, and then consider your other WLS options.

NCMTNEER13
on 7/9/18 5:48 am
VSG on 11/26/18

When you had the band removed, were you able to qualify for a revision? Or was your BMI already too low?

Gwen M.
on 7/9/18 6:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you called insurance to ask these questions? "My wife has the lapband and might need it removed due to health complications, would she be able to be revised to VSG even though her BMI is ##?"

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Shannon S.
on 7/9/18 7:41 am
VSG on 11/07/17

My situation was a little different. I had the lap band 12ish years ago, and it was removed in an emergency surgery. I honestly swore off WLS after that. It wasn't until I heard about VSG a few years ago that I became interested again. I have heard of people getting revised in the same surgery. My surgeon does same surgery revisions, but he is a Kaiser doc. It will vary by insurance. Definitely call the insurance company to get better clarification.