High carb diet vs. Calorie in/ calorie out.

Ajeffries
on 7/3/18 10:05 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

This is so interesting, the physical aspects, the hormonal aspects, the emotional aspects of obesity are not completely understood. If obesity was strictly a physical problem, it could be "fixed" or controlled. The emotional causes of obesity are strongly a factor. Just from anecdotal observations, it seems like many morbidly obese people, not all, have suffered some emotional trauma.

Donna L.
on 7/4/18 7:41 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yep. I actually wrote an article about it some time ago. Almost always there is a behavioral component. There's a strong biological chain of events that is triggered though once someone starts to become obese.

The problem is that being obese has a whole other gaggle of issues that continue to promote obesity. Altering hormones at this point will always be more effective than caloric restriction at this point, and that's why weight loss surgery works - it alters hormones and their receptors immediately in profound ways.

This is why if you weigh 150 pounds and need to lose weight, you are in a vastly different position than if you were 190 pounds or 250 pounds.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

VSGAnn2014
on 7/16/18 6:37 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I continue to learn things from you I never knew I didn't know.

Thanks, as always.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Donna L.
on 7/4/18 7:47 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Here's a video that explains the science why. While I disagree about some things (particularly the fiber crap), it's not a terrible review of how satiety and fat gain work, how they are hormone driven rather than raw energy driven, and why things are vastly different after you become obese.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ajeffries
on 7/4/18 7:48 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Very good video.

harryridwick
on 7/6/18 10:47 pm, edited 7/6/18 3:47 pm

High carb diet leads to obesity, so it is very important to understand the concept of calories. Count your calories on daily basis to keep your weight in control. You can find good information of different health platforms like webmd, wellness diet solution, healthline, and so on.