staywell medicaid

ras516
on 7/1/18 10:16 am

Has anyone used staywell/wellcare medicaid to get gastric sleeve surgery? If so what was the steps needed to get approved. How long was the process? When I called insurance company they said I didn't need 6 months of supervised weight visit, just letter of medical necessity letter and BMI of 40 or 35 with co-mordid conditions, and psychologist to rule out eating disorder along with medical clearance. But surgeon office said I will need 6 months and I would have to pay out of pocket to see their psychologist and nutritionist. Any info or this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kathy S.
on 7/18/18 12:18 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi ras516,

I did not had your insurance but I can say that I have seen others posting about what their insurance expects from them to approve surgery and yours sounds about right. It's not unusually for them to ask for a 6 month medically supervised eating plan. And the psychologist and nutritionist are key to be successful. I tell people they have to get it right between the ears before re-arranging their plumbing LOL

Be sure you confirm what post op program your surgeon has....getting support for the rest of your life is key.

We look forward to your updates.... Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130