Is it possible to get a second weight loss surgery?

Chloejo1004
on 6/26/18 12:39 pm - Aurora, Co

about 5 years ago I had a gastric sleeve done. Now I have unfortunately gained all my weight back if not more. Is it possible to get a second surgery? I have Medicaid...they cover it but would this be considered a revision?

peachpie
on 6/26/18 1:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Depends on a lot. People get them done- but if you could- how would you avoid regain again?

Is your sleeve working? Meaning are you eating how you should and not seeing results? That would be a consideration for revision. Or do you need to modify your diet again? What does your diet consist of?

A lot of insurance has a one wls per lifetime provisions.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Kathy S.
on 6/26/18 1:24 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I agree with Peachpie, unless there is a medical reason for your regain most surgeons and insurances will not do it. They are going to want you to deal with the reasons you gained the weight and get back on track. I am 14 years out and my tool is still working. I had a 90 pound regain and lost it last year by getting back to the basics. I had to face there were no medical reasons for my regain, just too many carbs and sugar.

I am surprised Medicaid covers a revision so maybe you do have a medical reason. Keep us posted on how you are doing and we wish you luck

Here is a link to surgeons in your area that does revisions. Give them a call to verify they take your insurance.

Surgeons

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/27/18 8:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

When people regain after WLS, it's likely because they stop following the rules and eat around their surgery.

What would prevent you from doing that with a second surgery?

Get yourself on track, use the tool you've already got, and see what happens.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/27/18 10:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The first thing to do is go to the doctor and get checked out. As for a scope, so they can see the condition of your innards. That will tell them if there is a medical reason for the regain.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/27/18 12:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

If possible go back to your bariatric surgeon & get checked out. You might not need a revision if there's nothing wrong with your sleeve. He also might offer alternatives to surgery. In the meantime go back to basics & look at why you regained the weight. If you get a second surgery it'll probably be considered a revision.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Member Services
on 6/27/18 2:26 pm - Irvine, CA

It varies from insurance carrier to insurance carrier. Most will only cover a secondary procedure if there is a mechanical failure of your first surgery. If you have regain that is due to non-compliance or resorting to previous bad habits, you may need to consult with a dietician or nutritionist to get you back on track.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this question. A lot depends on you and how you and what plan you followed post-op.

I would start by meeting your surgeon to see if he/she can work with you to get you back on track and then go from there.

Don't give up, just buckle down!

Izzy612
on 6/29/18 8:10 pm

I had a sleeve revision to bypass. I didn't lose much weight and developed GERD with my sleeve.

My doc said more and more people are having revisions from sleeve to bypass for the main reasons of regain & GERD.

it is possible, but see your surgeon. I was 7 years out from my sleeve when I had my revision in May. Good luck to you

Chloejo1004
on 6/29/18 9:54 pm - Aurora, Co

So your surgery was considered a revision? I guess I'm not so lucky...Medicaid doesn't pay for revisions. It's funny that you said GERD. I never knew what that was but have had a bad time with heartburn for years. I just thought that it was just part of my having done the sleeve. I've dealt with it the best way I can...with tums and OTC heartburn meds. I have never really mentioned it to my doctor, as I avoid going to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. Guess I should probably check that out and see what they can do for me. Maybe a n rx for GERD?!

Izzy612
on 6/30/18 5:50 am
On June 30, 2018 at 4:54 AM Pacific Time, Chloejo1004 wrote:

So your surgery was considered a revision? I guess I'm not so lucky...Medicaid doesn't pay for revisions. It's funny that you said GERD. I never knew what that was but have had a bad time with heartburn for years. I just thought that it was just part of my having done the sleeve. I've dealt with it the best way I can...with tums and OTC heartburn meds. I have never really mentioned it to my doctor, as I avoid going to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. Guess I should probably check that out and see what they can do for me. Maybe a n rx for GERD?!

Yep, was a revision. So many people with the sleeve suffers with GERD. I sipped water in the morning after waking up and had heartburn. I was buying a bottle of tums a week!

Not won't hurt to see your doc and get treated for the GERD so it's at least documented in your records and maybe they can advocate for a revision.