Hobbies before and after WLS?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/18 9:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I took up cycling after WLS, and got pretty serious at about 4 or 5 months post-op. I made it my goal to ride in the big city bike race (45mi) a year after surgery, and had a blast! I've done that ride several times, a few other charity rides, and half of RAGBRAI last summer-- I did about 150mi in three days.

I've also been doing roller derby this year. While there are skaters of all body types, I definitely couldn't keep up that level of activity at my pre-surgery weight!

And does "chasing a toddler all over the place" count as a hobby? I got pregnant 13 months after WLS, and my little dude keeps me BUSY!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Partlypollyanna
on 6/21/18 6:34 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Having recently watched a friends toddler, I would classify it as heavy duty exercise. I was exhausted after my evening with Rosie, lol.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/18 6:32 am

I used to not have any hobbies other than eating.

now I am working with a local theater group doing plays. I never did this before in my life.

its partly me trying to figure out who I am.Planting flowers is something else I like to do now. Till it gets too hot.

SamandaPanda
on 6/21/18 6:02 pm - San Angelo, Te

I hear you on the eating...That's what my hobby is now, and I'm on the road to changing it.

Gardening is a fantastic idea! If it ever gets below 100 degrees, that sounds like a good family activity.

Kristi T.
on 6/21/18 9:15 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Right after my surgery I started crocheting to keep my hands and mind busy, it really helped a lot. Now, 2+ years post op I love hiking, cooking/baking, gardening and taking care of my lawn. I am working on picking up more hobbies, I would love to learn Yoga and take horseback riding lessons.

Jester
on 6/21/18 9:45 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

My main hobby before surgery was eating. Specifically eating out. Trying out new restaurants about town (and while traveling) was the main outlet for that. I also enjoyed travel quite a bit.

After surgery, I have rediscovered my love of cooking. I abandoned is many years ago when my wife stayed home to raise our children. Now that I am the only one in the household adhering to my specific diet/lifestyle, I cook all my own food. It has become a real passion of mine to try out new and interesting foods. I still really enjoy travel, but am much more likely to go on a hike, zip line, rappel, horeseback ride, etc. Before it was mostly museums (which I still love) and guided tours.

In addition, I have become a junky in regards to reading about health and nutrition. Not only is it a new hobby, but it keeps me very focused on my new diet/lifestyle. That and the cooking take up a lot of my time and both keep me from straying "off the path" if you will.

Lastly, I spend a lot of time walking now. Walking the dog, getting out and exploring local parks, etc.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/21/18 8:08 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

My hobbies b4 wls was mostly indoor stuff. Music & movies. I'm still a movie buff but I don't go to them as often as I used to, plus they're freaking expensive!

Post wls I've really gotten into bike riding & riding rollercoasters. I've always enjoyed riding but stopped when I gained all that weight & forget about rollercoasters! I enjoy both so much now, even driving upstate to go on biking tours & driving out to Cedar Point for coasters.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Andiemarie30
on 6/25/18 12:58 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

Still hate to mow but not as likely to pay the neighbor anymore, unless it interferes with my biking.

Before my hobbies were mainly knitting, singing in choir, gardening, or mainly sitting on my butt. Now I bike! 15+ hours a week, 100 + miles a week, and usually 30+ miles at a time. Sure don't have much time for anything else. I do go out to dinner a lot more now but that because I have made more friends and we go out after biking. I still garden and sing, and I do knit some (not as much and never for all evening). I too am a craftaholic, last summer (few months post op) I took up jewelry making, mainly beading. Its easy for me to get caught up in a new hobby.