Be careful of what you order at Sonics

Melody P.
on 6/17/18 5:42 pm - Amarillo, TX

my mom had to try the dill pickle slushy at Sonics this weekend. I ordered a small sugar free cherry slush...knowing I wouldn't fini**** but it sounded nice.

half way home I had my mom taste it to see if she could tell it was diet. NOPE! It was a full sugar slush. I had about 1/3cup before realizing. My head had started hurting is the only reason my suspicion was raised. My blood sugar got as high as 158 and it made my stomach upset all day today with the added bonus of diarrhea. Sorry for the tmi.

No no more sugar free, or anything for that matter, from there!

Mel

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/17/18 6:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

FYI, its impossible to get a sugar free slush at Sonic. They can add sugar free flavoring, but the slush base is high in sugar.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/18 1:53 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Okay. Dill pickle slush? I can't even imagine.

catwoman7
on 6/18/18 7:48 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was thinking the exact same thing - UGH!!!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Andiemarie30
on 6/25/18 1:21 pm
VSG on 03/21/17

A lot of my cycling friends are excited to try this. We regularly drink pickle juice after a long ride (tip, you have to really like dill pickles).

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/18 3:58 am

During my first year post op I learned never to trust places to make my order "sugar free". Over that year Starbucks served me a couple of full sugar specialty coffees before I realized that I can never trust them. Sugar free desserts - nope, got "burned" on that also.

Unless I make it myself, or get things in a can/bottle/original packaging- I will not drink - eat things that is supposed to be "sugar free".

I order my coffee black then I add sweetener to it. Same with ice tea.

I experianced "diet" soda from a fountain machines that was not 100% diet. Sometimes they can "mix" the connections. Human error.

As for SF desserts - they are often loaded with sugar alcohols (SA). Some of us dump worse on SA than sugar. Plus the gut distress SA can cause is very very unpleasant.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erin T.
on 6/18/18 5:14 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I once ordered a Diet Cherry Limeade from Sonic and they didn't make it Diet like I asked. I drank the whole 44oz thing before I realized. Luckily (or not?), sugar doesn't make me feel bad generally but I'm diabetic so my BS went to 200 and stayed there for a bit. I wasn't all that far post-op and it freaked me out a lot to track those calories on MFP and feel helpless about it. My Type I diabetic friend has had them do it to her a few times too and now won't go there or order from them.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Queen JB
on 6/18/18 5:15 am
RNY on 07/20/15

You are so early out from surgery right now that you need to be 100000% focused on getting good nutrition into your body. Even if it was sugar free, it wasn't going to offer you anything of value.

My advice is to try to break the habit of finding something at these types of places. Even if it is not a terrible option, it probably isn't good, and everything you put in your mouth right now should be very very good for you!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Melody P.
on 6/18/18 6:23 am - Amarillo, TX

Thanks everyone!

we eat out about once or twice a year and for me that's no more. I learned a valuable lesson!

Mel

sweetpotato1959
on 6/18/18 1:31 pm

I keep a sweetner I can use( stevia powder in pyure brand.) in my purse..and order unsweetened. ..tea, coffee or iced water with lemon.. the other artificial sweetners give me gastric upset, and dumping.. leads to gastritis almost every time..

After about 20 years of this..it makes one especially careful. I tolerate a teasoon of regular sugar better than asparatine...I do drink most of my tea completely unsweet...

I can't find very much at any fast food place I can eat like it is prepared., and have to be esp careful at any eatery...

if you know you are going to a place that has crushed ice, take some unsweet koolaid concentrate , (that you have sweetened with something you tolerate)... and ask for just a cup of crushed ice.. put some of your artificaial sweet koolaid over the crushed ice and make your own..slushie.. at least will give you that much cold liquids, especially nice for a very hot and humid day.

In the summer, when going out of the house, i have a small refrig bag, i keep in my purse with cool things in it...so i can change things to my diet needs..It is. a gallon ziplock.. inside is a quart ziplock and between the two is a refrig pack.. and a couple of flavorings, or lactose free milk ( for coffee creamer) to help me stay on diet and still have some normal things, without calling undue attention.