Tuesday NSV thread

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/18 2:33 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Anybody want to share something they're proud of today? Doesn't matter if you're pre-op, newly post-op, or a long-time vet, here's your chance to brag!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 6/5/18 2:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

After four months of "fresh meat" training, I joined my first official practice as a full member of the roller derby league! Hooray!!

In the last fifteen minutes of practice, when I was skating in a paceline and going up to hit another player, we locked wheels and fell. Next thing I knew, my right knee was swollen the size of a grapefruit-- despite heavy duty kneepads. Today, I have an ENORMOUS purple bruise and I am SO ridiculously proud of it, it's taking all my effort not to show it off to the whole office.

While there are lots of plus-size skaters in the derby world, there's no way I could have done this at 300lb. I'm still working on losing my regain, and skating has actually been wonderful for that in terms of exercise and boosted self-confidence. I'm strong and confident (mostly) and I have an absolute BLAST!

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/18 6:19 pm

Congratulations! Very impressive!

Partlypollyanna
on 6/5/18 6:35 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

How awesome!!! I hope you have taken a picture of your first derby badge of honor!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

on 6/5/18 7:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been taking snapshots if only to document-- in case I do end up going to the doctor to get it checked out. I'll spare you the gnarly purple details ;)

Ajeffries
on 6/6/18 1:53 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

We want to see the gnarly purple details. Hope you feel better.

seattledeb
on 6/5/18 10:20 pm

I'm so happy for you.

You worked hard to get on that team.

I love the clever Derby names.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/18 3:50 am

Great job Julie!!! You got that.

Hopefully the knee only have a big bruise, and nothing serious. Hope it heals fast and you can resume the roller derby.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 6/5/18 5:09 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

This may not sound like a big deal, but surviving, easily, living without AC for the better part of a week-in the South and in HOT weather, is my NSV.

Our 20 year old unit died SPECTACULARLY last week, so my husband ( a rabid DIYer ) has worked his ass off this week tearing out the old unit and risking life and limb ( literally ) moving our new unit ( all 800 lbs of it ) from the side of the house to the back, and installing it. He only had the tiniest bit of help moving it, and that was only after I had to run to get help from our neighbor. ( Running was another NSV. Audrey doesn't normally run. I didn't even fall..boo yah! )

If this had happened pre-RNY, I'd be so incredibly uncomfortable and hot. I couldn't face hot weather at 290 lbs. Now though...I'm sitting here chilling in a 78 degree house. And running for help? Yea-nooope.

We were lucky enough to have a couple of cool nights and today hasn't been too hot. It was 83 in here the other day. Poor doggo is like "WTF, Mom?", but he's getting tons of ice cubes, ice cold water, lounging in front of a huge fan, and frozen doggie treats.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Gwen M.
on 6/5/18 5:57 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I flew up to Boston (from Maryland) for the weekend by myself. First time I've traveled alone since losing weight and it was amazing. I didn't need to worry about fitting anywhere, or encroaching into the space of the person sitting next to me on any of the many transit methods I used. I walked everywhere I could. I declined a ride back to my host's house at one point because the weather was lovely and I wanted to walk the 3 miles.

It was amazing. I felt confident and competent and capable.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)