Alcohol and WLS, according to the experts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/18 8:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Since this topic comes up once in a while, I thought I'd share some expert info I came across recently.

ASMBS position statement on alcohol use before and after bariatric surgery

"Based on current studies, gastric bypass surgery is associated with:

• Accelerated alcohol absorption (shorter time to reach maximum concentration)
  • Higher maximum alcohol concentration
  • Longer time to eliminate alcohol in both men and women
  • Increased risk for development of AUD [Alcohol Use Disorder]"

Life after bariatric surgery: drinking alcohol

Q: Can I drink alcohol after surgery?

A: Alcohol is not recommended after bariatric surgery. Alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and will work against your weight loss goal. For example, wine contains twice the calories per ounce that regular soda does. The absorption of alcohol changes with gastric bypass and gastric sleeve because an enzyme in the stomach which usually begins to digest alcohol is absent or greatly reduced.

Alcohol may also be absorbed more quickly into the body after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. The absorbed alcohol will be more potent, and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others. In some patients, alcohol use can increase and lead to alcohol dependence. For all of these reasons, it is recommended to avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 6/4/18 10:13 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Alcohol isn't important to me, and I rarely drink. Also, I'm allergic to wine (I get a stuffy nose). To be on the safe side, I've decided to forego it after surgery.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/4/18 10:14 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

This is one of those things that should be pinned at the top of each forum.

I have a friend who has had 3 WLS and she can't figure out why she keeps gaining weight after she gets to her goal. It is because she refuses to give up drinking her alcohol. She follows the rules to a T until she reaches her goal weight and then drives right to the liquor store and gets her Rum and tequila. Literally as soon as the scale shows her a number she likes she starts drinking and won't stop.

Her surgeon told her last year not to come back to his office as he can't help her anymore. He even told her to go to an AA meeting which pissed her off.

For those of you who think alcohol is OK after WLS maybe once or twice a year, but to drink daily or weekly is only going to aid in regain. Plus there is absolutely no nutritional value in any type of alcohol.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Janet P.
on 6/4/18 11:46 am

I think, like everything related to WLS (of all kinds), everything in moderation. Of course alcohol wouldn't be recommended, just like sugar or cake or cookies or pasta or rice aren't recommended, but I guarantee people still eat them. Again, everything in moderation.

If you do choose to consume alcohol after WLS, first thing to remember is to listen to your body. Pay attention to how your body/system reacts to the alcohol.

I know for me personally my tolerance completely changed. I'm OK with having one drink. A glass of wine before dinner is a nice way to unwind after a long day of work.

Just a caveat - I didn't touch a drop of alcohol for at least a year after reaching my goal weight. I was never a big drinker but like everything else (for me) nothing is off limits - everything in moderation.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/4/18 11:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I disagree.

Many, if not most, WLS patients are downright HORRIBLE at "moderation." If we could do things in moderation, we would not have become morbidly obese in the first place.

If it works for you? Great. But the medical recommendations for alcohol-- as well as junk food-- are that moderation doesn't work, and abstinence is best.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 6/4/18 12:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree with Julie - if I was great at moderation and listening to my body, I doubt I'd have gotten to the point where I needed WLS in the first place. I've had to acknowledge that I really suck at those things though. Even now.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/5/18 11:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On June 4, 2018 at 6:46 PM Pacific Time, Janet P. wrote:

I think, like everything related to WLS (of all kinds), everything in moderation. Of course alcohol wouldn't be recommended, just like sugar or cake or cookies or pasta or rice aren't recommended, but I guarantee people still eat them. Again, everything in moderation.

If you do choose to consume alcohol after WLS, first thing to remember is to listen to your body. Pay attention to how your body/system reacts to the alcohol.

I know for me personally my tolerance completely changed. I'm OK with having one drink. A glass of wine before dinner is a nice way to unwind after a long day of work.

Just a caveat - I didn't touch a drop of alcohol for at least a year after reaching my goal weight. I was never a big drinker but like everything else (for me) nothing is off limits - everything in moderation.

I wouldn't "guarantee that people still eat them" referring to sugar, cake, cookies, pasta and rice -- I sure don't. And I haven't since 2013.

I've also lost over 200 lbs and haven't suffered re-gain.

I have yet to meet anyone who's suffered appreciable re-gain from eating too much meat/protein. It's always sugar, starches, processed foods and alcohol.

So the real guarantee is that people who eat/drink those things are far more likely to suffer regain and the health consequences ... which is awful --- but still not as bad as the numerous WLS patients who've died from the result of crossover addictions to alcohol.

I have watched several on these boards alone ...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

seattledeb
on 6/5/18 7:21 pm

It's heartbreaking to watch.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/18 12:51 pm

My body didn't care I was able to polish off a box of wine in a few days.

An addict so I know I can not drink. If you look to see how many glasses are in a box of wine it equals about 30 some.

tjere is no moderation for an alcoholic

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/18 6:37 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Like others have said, I don't know how to be moderate with eating, or to listen to my body. I can't freely snack on something and it just be good enough because I can snack like mad if I really wanted to. When I want something, it goes in MFP and I plan to eat it. Even if I ate it off plan, it goes into MFP so I can see it.