Insurance Approval - CHECK!

Teresa G.
on 5/29/18 5:59 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

My insurance approval came through today. I didn't even know it until I was emailed that I had a phone appt with the anesthesia peeps next week.

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! NEXT THURSDAY! Stomach is full of butterflies...and that's ALL it's full of as I'm on Day 6 of my pre-op diet. But I will finally be a NORMAL size! I went through tons of clothes over the weekend and ended up with 2 big bags full of professional clothing to the YWCA, 3 big bags of regular clothing to the goodwill, a bag of shoes for the Union Gospel Mission AND 3 bags of garbage.

This was all from my bedroom. I still have 2 more closets to go through. It's a sickness, I'm telling you!

From this point on, as soon as something is too big, it's out the door.

I WILL, one day soon, be able to wear every piece of clothing I own! That has been a fantasy of mine for years! No more will I have clothes in 4 or more different sizes!

I'm not going to sleep a wink between now and next Thursday.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/30/18 4:55 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yeah! I used to have clothing from a size 2 to a size 16. Now I wear a 0 most of the time. All my old clothing was donated this time as well because what I had retained was super out of date after all those years and I refuse to keep clothing which would help me if I started going back up again. Bags and bags and bags of it.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/30/18 7:41 am - OH

Ok, I will be the Debbie Downer voice of reality. It is fine to get rid of your largest clothes, but once you start to get close to your goal weight, put the clothes in a box in a closet instead of getting rid of them. Trust me, it will save you money having to buy new clothes in a larger size later. MANY people who are very successful with their weight loss find themselves in emotional o physical cir****tances where they regain 20 or 30 pounds (and that can mean having to go up 2 or even 3 sizes in clothing, even if temporarily).

I know, I know... YOU are going to be different. I'm also sure there someone who's only two (maybe three) years out, who is telling you "Yes, do it! Do it! Get rid of all of them! You won't ever "let yourself" need those again". The odds, however, say otherwise and it is harder both emotionally and financially to have to go out and spend good money to buy a pair of shorts or pants again when you had some you could have just kept in the closet.

No matter how "gung ho" and optimistic you are now, the bounce back phenomenon (one size) is very real, surgery is NOT a lifetime guarantee, and life has a way of throwing **** at you down the road that can blow your best intentions to hell and back. Save at least a few pieces of clothes that one and two sizes larger than your lowest.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Miss150
on 5/30/18 7:59 am

Ditto that.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Teresa G.
on 5/30/18 8:21 am, edited 5/30/18 1:23 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

Yep, definitely the Debbie Downer.

Regain isn't EVERYONE'S reality. I'm sorry that it was yours.

I know that it's a very real possibility for me, but I figure that having no clothes in reserve that are bigger will motivate me even more to catch it before it becomes 20 or 30 pounds.

I've kept bigger sizes in reserve for most of my life, and it's far too easy to pull out something bigger than to buckle down and eat clean and make my pants comfortable around the waist again.

If I don't, then so be it, I'll have to buy new fatter clothes.

Teresa (WA State)

Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/18 10:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On May 30, 2018 at 3:21 PM Pacific Time, TessieLoo wrote:

Yep, definitely the Debbie Downer.

Regain isn't EVERYONE'S reality. I'm sorry that it was yours.

I know that it's a very real possibility for me, but I figure that having no clothes in reserve that are bigger will motivate me even more to catch it before it becomes 20 or 30 pounds.

I've kept bigger sizes in reserve for most of my life, and it's far too easy to pull out something bigger than to buckle down and eat clean and make my pants comfortable around the waist again.

If I don't, then so be it, I'll have to buy new fatter clothes.

Quoting for posterity.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Teresa G.
on 5/30/18 11:39 am
VSG on 06/07/18 with

You do that a lot - "quoting for posterity". Why?

Teresa (WA State)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/30/18 11:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't do it often, but there are others on the board who do so more frequently.

Two purposes for it:

• Preserves the original post in case the OP decides to go back and edit
  • Saves a copy of the post notification in your email in case you want to refer to it in the future

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/18 10:33 am

IMO - it was a realistic approach.

You have not have your surgery yet. And things happens.

I gave away my "too large" clothes too many time. Post op WLS - I maintain my goal withing 20 lbs. Up or down. I keep 3- 4 sizes in my closet. (4 to 10)

I.e. Recently I had hernias' surgery - I am still swollen, and it may take an additional month to get back to normal. I need the 2 size larger bottoms and tops to feel comfortable. (my middle is swollen).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/30/18 11:41 am

Your response is pure hubris. I hope for your sake you will always live as strongly as you hope.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org