Hospital packing list

hollykim
on 5/29/18 11:57 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 29, 2018 at 6:45 PM Pacific Time, TheWombat wrote:

Here's what I'm planning to bring to the hospital for my surgery. I would appreciate any suggestions of things to add or remove!

hospital packing list

biotene mouthwash (for dry mouth)
gasx
toothbrush
toothpaste
moisturiser - face
chapstick
shampoo
conditioner
soap for sensitive skin
baby wipes
antiperspirant

brush
scrunchie

pajama bottoms x 2
extra top just in case
underwear
socks
slippers
shower cap
earplugs
sleeping mask
robe
throw pillow to hold during drive home

phone
charging cable
laptop? (I'll be in the hospital for 5 days. I know that's longer than usual, but it's what my surgeon does.)

and for home, during recovery:

thermometer
vitamins - I got the PatchMD patches for the first month to make it easy on my new stomach
baby bowls
baby spoons
small freezer containers
massage oil for skin

bring Burt's bees or similar lip balm, not Chapstick brand or the like that is petroleum based.

Petroleum products are flammable and shouldn't be used around oxygen equipment.

Teresa G.
on 5/29/18 7:00 pm
VSG on 06/07/18 with

I bought a caftan to wear to and from the hospital.

I'm packing:

• Chargers, kindle and phone
  • Biotene Spray
  • Chapstick
  • Toothbrush
  • Comb
  • Underwear
  • Robe (not sure about this, hoping that as soon as I'm up walking I will be able to wear my caftan)
  • Pillow
  • Earplugs (thanks Wombat!)
  • deodorant
  • Slippers

I'm only staying one night, so I'm trying to be a minimalist as possible.

Teresa (WA State)

VSG on June 7, 2018 (At age 59)
Start of Program (1-1-18): 303 n Surgery Weight: 260 n CW (10-16-18): 203.4 n GW: 175 (first goal)

Scary.Airy
on 5/30/18 7:13 am

I would add

• kindle / kobo / ebook instead of a laptop.
  • If you do choose a laptop or tablet, load it up with movies and bring headphones
  • Crocks. Yeah, I know they are butt ugly, but they don't slip, have a hard sole, and fit with socks in them, and are super easy to put on and off
  • I use 'sleepphones' - headphones that are actually flat against your ears, contained in kind of a soft headband; meant to wear while sleeping. I then search youtube for something like "8 hours rain on a tent" or "8 hours running fan".... instantly blocking out the sound of your room mate coughing, moaning or pooping.
  • if I were staying 5 days.. I would be bringing my own beloved pillows. Yes, multiple. You want the best sleeps you possibly can!! Put them in brightly coloured pillow cases so they don't get taken for cleaning.
  • super comfy bra. I don't know about you, but I HATE the feeling of being braless, the girls flapping around everywhere. I'd bring something that's super comfy to hang in all day.

Good luck!

Goddess in training...

Renren
on 5/30/18 9:30 am
VSG on 12/02/15

The only things I used were cellphone, chapstick, earplugs, baggy pair of shorts so I didn't expose myself while walking around the Nurses station. Everything else is provided. By the time I was feeling well enough to shower and shampoo I was home, so I just didn't need all that stuff that I took. This is an exciting time, Bless you.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Mel_wls2018
on 5/31/18 9:52 pm

You may want to pack an extension cord as your phone charger may not reach bed.

Julia S.
on 6/1/18 9:35 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 02/12/18

I only spent one torturous night and I didn't bring anything except my purse. Of course it had my phone and tablet with charging cords in it but that was all. Not much sleep and they kept poking my fingers for blood sugar, I'm not a diabetic so I'm not sure what the point was except really sore fingers.

5'5" Age 66 HW 291 SW 275.8 CW 179.8