Where do I go from here. POST RNY 10 Years

finnfinn74
on 5/14/18 8:35 pm - Canada

Hi All,

I'm in Canada. I had RNY just over 10 years ago. I have regained and need to lose at least 60 lbs. Has anyone ever done a revision or any type of procedure after RNY to get back in the game? Any particular forums? Thank you!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/18 8:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Most times, when people have regained weight, their tool works fine, but their habits have slipped. I'd suggest going "back to basics" for a bit and see where that takes you. Try 600 - 800 cal, 60+g protein, and under 25g carbs. Lean, dense protein first and foremost!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

finnfinn74
on 5/14/18 8:54 pm - Canada

Thank you so much for the reply. After all this time I figure my stomach has stretched back no? It's been so long I almost don't know where to start!

jenorama
on 5/14/18 10:03 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Your stomach hasn't stretched. The part of the stomach that forms the pouch is up at the top and isn't very stretchy. What's more likely is that you've stretched the connection from your pouch to your intestines, letting food pass through faster.

Julie's suggestion of eating dense protein first in measured amounts is a sound one. Also evaluate your drinks and cut out drinks that have calories and cut out easy carbs like crackers and chips. Those smash down to nothing and you can fit a lot in! I bet you'll find that your pouch is in good working order and there's no need to put yourself through the trauma and expense of another surgery.

You can do it!

Jen

finnfinn74
on 5/14/18 10:10 pm - Canada

Thanks. I've always thought it was our pouch that would stretch. That's hopefull. I habe the book wls for dummies. I think to need to pull that out. I domt want surgery either. Now that I'm a mom to a 4.5 year old boy im.not Too keen.

jenorama
on 5/14/18 10:11 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That's a good book. I read it before my own RNY in 2013. :D There's a daily menu thread on here as well where folks post their menus. You might find some ideas there as well!

Jen

finnfinn74
on 5/14/18 10:18 pm - Canada

Thank u!

The Salty Hag
on 5/15/18 3:50 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Definitely pull out the book. I've never read it, but I've heard only good things about it. I find that if I need a small refresher or reminder about my post op rules, I pull out my instructions from my pre-op appointments. It can help get my head back in the game.

Our pouches are designed to stretch somewhat, but it's difficult to have it stretch so much that surgery is needed to fix it.

The dense protein first should work in letting you know that you still have restriction. Make sure you measure or weigh everything you take in-water, supplements, food, drinks, sweeteners, condiments-it's surprising when you find hidden calories in such things as calcium supplements.

If you've been eating simple carbs like pasta, chips, or crackers-once you get them out of your system-you'll feel much better in addition to being able to utilize your tool better.

I wish you well!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

sweetpotato1959
on 5/21/18 1:33 pm

First , I have read all of the comments, You have been given good advise already. Knowing where you are and where you want to be is all important. If you can get bloodwork to verify you have no major deficiencies.. ie low Iron, etc..

It is also important to remember that the tissue that stretches, once stopped being overfilled, can rebound somewhat...kinda like a balloon. once blew up does not quite return to the beginning but can still be effective.

Increase your activity slowly and consistently, Having a 4 year old can be good exercise ..take him for a walk morning and evening extend the distance.. Get your protein in. The goal ,by Dr was 90 grams Protein and less than 50 carbs. Starting very low with carbs as you re-commit to your health..in the 20-25 range is a good strategy. B complex sublingual is bet abosrbed and helps me with cravings.-was recommended by nutritionist.

Hang in there and keep coming back , I am 24 years post op and stilll learn things I can do for my health.

Laura in Texas
on 5/15/18 3:57 am

Have you been back to your surgeon recently? You could get everything checked out to make sure it is in working order, but most likely it is. If you have not had bloodwork done recently, get that done, too. Sometimes if we are deficient in something it can throw our whole body off kilter.

Revisions are dangerous and could put your life in jeopardy. I would not recommend it unless there is something physically wrong with your RNY.

If you search old posts, people often ask for advice for regain. It is common, but you can totally lose it on your own. Are there any support groups near you? Or is there a therapist you can talk to? The mental part is the hardest. Be kind to yourself.

Good luck!! You CAN do this!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."