Any ideas for crabmeat?

Scary.Airy
on 5/14/18 2:53 pm, edited 5/14/18 4:12 pm

I know I should be posting in the recipe board, but there really isn't a lot of action there ;)

So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for WLS appropriate recipes that uses crab meat?

I am in the pureed stage still... and got permission to SLOWLY test the waters of the soft-food phase next week... I have this lovely little cup full of crab meat... and I am stumped what might be nice to do with it.

Bonus points if you also have an idea for mussel meat? Found a nice bag of frozen mussel meat - the protein levels are outstanding in mussel!

Thanks in advance!

hollykim
on 5/14/18 8:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM Pacific Time, Scary.Airy wrote:

I know I should be posting in the recipe board, but there really isn't a lot of action there ;)

So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for WLS appropriate recipes that uses crab meat?

I am in the pureed stage still... and got permission to SLOWLY test the waters of the soft-food phase next week... I have this lovely little cup full of crab meat... and I am stumped what might be nice to do with it.

Bonus points if you also have an idea for muscle meat? Found a nice bag of frozen muscle meat - the protein levels are outstanding in muscles!

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any recipes for crab meat but do be sure it is not imitation crab meat which is full of added sugar. Make sure it is the real thing.

i don't have a clue what "muscle meat" is. Do you mean beef, pork, chicken, the meat of which is the muscles of those animals?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/18 3:15 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If it's actual crab, and not surimi, you can mix it with a little bit of mayonnaise and make a crab salad with it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Scary.Airy
on 5/14/18 4:11 pm

No, it's definitely actual, real pure crab, not imitation. I was never a fan of the imitation.

Muscles... thank you autocorrect :) I meant MUSSELS... you know, similar to an oyster or clam? I will go fix that in my original post...

hollykim
on 5/14/18 5:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 14, 2018 at 11:11 PM Pacific Time, Scary.Airy wrote:

No, it's definitely actual, real pure crab, not imitation. I was never a fan of the imitation.

Muscles... thank you autocorrect :) I meant MUSSELS... you know, similar to an oyster or clam? I will go fix that in my original post...

OH, lol. Yes, I know about those, but alas, no recipe!

Shannon S.
on 5/14/18 5:23 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

To stay within your soft food diet, put it in a baking crock with a little bit of cream cheese, mayo, parmesean, and mozzarella. Add a dash of worstershire, dash of mustard, old bay, spring onions to taste, and bake it. That will make like a little crab dip for you.

Or you could just be easy and make a little crab cake.

Au_Contraire
on 5/14/18 7:13 pm

You're very early out. I would suggest making the crab meat into a real puree' - do not leave larger pieces, which may very well be too much for you to easily digest right now. It took many months for me to be able to eat any seafood without hours of pain afterwards. Best of luck!

crqvingchange
on 5/14/18 7:15 pm

If you are allowed to test the waters, why not stuff a very soft white fish (think sole) and make a little sauce for it (Hollandaise or a parsley sauce, etc.). I would wrap the fish in foil or parchment and bake to keep it moist.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/18 8:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Great idea! I make my own filling using jarred crab, finely diced onion and celery, red pepper flakes, crushed garlic, paprika, and lemon juice. I use salmon filet, I brush them with lots of butter, spoon the crab mix on top, roll the fish, and tie with string, then bake until the fish is opaque. I could only eat about a quarter of one of these at first, but it worked really well!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

crqvingchange
on 5/14/18 8:55 pm

Now that sounds yummy.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.