I have had my band for 13 years - Weight loss surgery is not a magic wand! Before and After...

Naomi B.
on 5/6/18 7:31 am, edited 5/6/18 8:21 am - Hanover, PA

I have had my band for 13 years now. I lost more weight with my original band. I got my band replaced back in 2012 due to constant reflux and GERD. I have had no problems with my new band but, I haven't been able to lose weight unless I diet the old fashion way.

I kept my weight off with my original band for 8 years, I lost 120 pounds and gained back 50 when I had emergency surgery in 2008 for a rare hernia that was obstructing my bowel, and could not exercise ; and lost another 20 throughout the years.

I have always kept it real and honest about my journey!

This is my lowest weight with my first band in 2005

Me now in 2018

CC C.
on 5/6/18 9:31 am

We don't see many success stories with the band here. Mostly people converting to VSG or RNY due to band issues. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. You've done really well!

Naomi B.
on 5/6/18 10:24 am, edited 5/6/18 3:27 am - Hanover, PA

Thank you for your support. When I first got the lap band in 2005 it was very popular. I joined this board over 14 years ago when it was way more active. Many have gotten their bands removed or revised over to the VSG, DS or RNY.

In 2012 I almost revised over to the Sleeve but I was scared due to scar tissue and the possibility that it would not cure my GERD that my lap band had caused (by the way I had GERD before my surgery and as years went by it got worse). So I got the newer model band, although I haven't had any complications with the new band I haven't lost weight, unless I dieted, and then it was slow.

I recommended the Sleeve for my daughter since this was her first weight loss surgery. If I was getting weight loss surgery today I would definitely get the Sleeve. Nothing against other surgeries I feel like the Sleeve is similar to the lap but has slightly faster weight loss and you don't have to get fills.

peachpie
on 5/6/18 11:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Congratulations! I hope the band continues to work well for you. I guess I get confused when you say, with your second band you wouldn't lose weight unless you dieted. Im sure you had to change your eating habits with the first band? It's a tool like you said. the band alone doesn't cause weight loss, much more, sustain it. You had to work it, and it sounds like you did.

I just worry for folks who think they can have surgery and carry on business as usual.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Naomi B.
on 5/6/18 11:22 am, edited 5/6/18 4:23 am - Hanover, PA

Thanks your support, I will add clarity - what I meant I was spoiled with my first band. It provided very tight restriction. The newer "safer" band doesn't provide tight restriction like my first band did (at least for me), therefore REGARDLESS what I ate I used to get full on 5 bites of food....now 5 bites of food with my second band is a joke....in other words I am left with hunger ...the same as dieting....that's the purpose of weight loss surgery to reduce the size of your stomach to feel less hunger right?

peachpie
on 5/6/18 6:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Got it- makes sense. Yes the purpose of surgery to to reduce the stomach size, but to decrease consumption. Hunger may or may not be curbed. I'm lucky and have not had hunger return since my surgery.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

diane S.
on 5/6/18 10:34 am

Congrats. You look great. Glad you shared your story. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Naomi B.
on 5/6/18 10:44 am - Hanover, PA

Thank you Dianne for your support, I remember seeing you on the boards a couple of years ago...

catwoman7
on 5/7/18 6:08 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I have to diet all the time to maintain my weight. It was easy the first few months after surgery when I had no hunger, but ever since my hunger came back, it's been more of a challenge. I suppose if I'd have been OK with weighing 180 or 190 lbs or so, it would be easier, but I want to stay at a normal BMI. So it's a daily struggle. I try to average around 1500 kcal/day but can go up to about 1700 some days. If I'm at or over 1700 too many days in a week, my weight starts going up. And compared to some folks on here, I can eat a fair number of calories. Some people have to eat more like 1000 or 1200 in order to maintain. Yikes! So anyway, I think it's common to be on a perpetual diet after WLS if you want to lose most/all of your excess weight and maintain it. Unfortunately.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Kathy S.
on 5/7/18 7:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome Back Naomi! Sadly when we had our procedures back in 2004 and 2005 we didn't have much long term data. We have a lot of members that had the band having complications long term. We hope to see you around here often!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130