Achalasia and Bariatric Surgery

Baileycat50
on 5/3/18 3:58 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this group. I don't think I am posting in the correct section, so I hope somebody can help me out. I am interesting in bariatric surgery, but I have a disease called Achalasia. Does anybody in here have this disease or know anybody with it that had bariatric surgery even though they have it? I have many questions. I read an article from a Texas doctor who believes a RNY could actually benefit a person with Achalasia (food gets stuck in esophogus because the nerves that push food/liquids down die and the esophogus narrows just before the stomach). The article suggests that a back flow pressure is created with RNY that can help propel food down to the stomach. I have not found many articles on this, but was hoping to meet a couple people who deal with Achalasia too.

Thanks!

Pam

Queen JB
on 5/4/18 7:45 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I am not an expert at ALL, but I do remember a long time poster on OH (screen name Jean M.) developed achalasia after having the Lapband for a few years. I remember that she had a revision to the sleeve but I don't know how she fared after that. You might want to do a search in the search bar above (maybe on the lapband or VSG forums) to see if you can find any of Jean's posts.

That was at least four years ago, and since then there have been more and more people developing complications from acid reflux after the VSG, so I'd be wary of that surgery right out of the gate. But, sorry, I don't know enough about achalasia to know gastric bypass would be a better choice...

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/4/18 7:52 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have no personal experience, but I did find this article from a clinic in Houston. Maybe you could give them a call and see if the doctor could give you more information?

https://houstonsleevesurgeon.com/is-weight-loss-surgery-a-go od-option-for-achalasia-patients/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CC C.
on 5/4/18 8:12 am

I have no information for you but wanted to say, welcome!

Kathy S.
on 5/4/18 11:01 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello Pam,

Welcome to OH

I personally have not had this issue but I did a search for you and here are some other members asking about Achalasia. Keep us posted on how you are doing and we are here to help

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=Achalasia

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

kagriffin66
on 5/9/18 7:15 am
RNY on 05/21/18

Hi Pam,

im new to the group also. I too have achalasia for a long time and have had several attempts to stretch the esophagus, finally having a myotomy w fundoplication back in 2008. They cut the tight esophagus and wrapped the stomach around it to prevent regurgitation. I've been ok since then but still have problems sometimes w reflux, vomiting and heartburn.

Im now very overweight, have done the work for a gastric bypass and it's 2 weeks away!! Ive talked to many doctors, read lots and done research. I'm told by doctors that bypass is the only option for people w achalasia and will improve the symptoms. I've had swallowing and esophageal studies and am told my prior surgery is "loose" and I reflux continually. I'm hoping that w the gastric bypass and resulting weight loss - all of this will improve.

Please share what you've learned - getting nervous as surgery nears ?