Labs - happy dance

Shannon S.
on 4/21/18 12:22 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Just had labs done and my

Hgb A1C went from 6.2 to 5.5

My triglycerides went from 190 to 130

I'm moving out of the prediabetes category. Still want my A1C below 5, but this is a start.

Triglycerides went from high to normal.

Still waiting on my vitamin panels.

BMI down from 62 to 47.

I'm thrilled!

Just thought I'd share

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/18 3:41 pm, edited 4/21/18 8:42 am

Wonderful. Have in mind that you are still early post op. At least once a year we need a very detailed blood work. And we need to track it. Not the docs - but we ourselves.

Check Julie post.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6032156/Helpful-vitam in-info/#50406259

If you doc or you don't not think you need such a detailed lab work - post it here and I bet you some of us veterans can help you with data to support your need for a very detailed lab work. My first 3 years I trusted docs to tell me my lbs are ok. At app 3 years post op some of my labs got really low. They were still either lis nirmnoor just slightly below low normal. I felt like **** while my docs shaked their heads telling me that "you numbers are ok, could be better, but not critical" yeap. Yet if too many numbers get too low, or not optimum our bodies, we may suffer. Really suffer... When adding a few vitamins and minerals could make a difference between feeling horrible vs feeling good.

I chose to feel good. As good as I can make it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Shannon S.
on 4/21/18 5:00 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I agree. I'll be sure to advocate for myself as well. Although my surgeon is a big stickler and very thorough. I have never seen so many labs ordered. They took 18 vials of blood. From vit d, to b-12, to zinc, copper, lactic acid. There were quite a few I as a nurse have never heard of. Thanks so much!

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/18 7:05 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

18 vials? I wouldn't have made it. I just had labs done and usually I pass out from blood draws. I didn't this time, first ever, but 18? Would have been down for the count!

Shannon S.
on 4/22/18 8:01 am
VSG on 11/07/17

I literally counted! It was taking so long for her to label the tubes I started to get nervous. There were labs on there I had never heard of. It was an entire page of just labs! My surgeon is super thorough I guess. This is for my 6mnth check up.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/18 9:06 am

If they take only a few vials- you probably not getting even lab work done. Check the spreadsheet by Julie. Really really important. After a few years - I pick and choose what labs I need and I know I may not need them all. I based on on my constsnt level of supplementation - with a few years of good labs for the particular item.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 4/23/18 3:08 am - Warren, OH

Insist on having the blood draws done while lying down. It can help if you bring something with you to eat right after the draws before you get back up. Let them know that you get light-headed and rest after the blood draw. Part of the passing out is from anxiety, so breathe and relax.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dcgirl
on 4/23/18 6:42 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I totally agree, and for this reason I always refuse to look. If I look at it, I get super queasy and anxious. If I face the other direction, I have no clue what's going on and it's better that way!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/22/18 8:46 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Keep up the good work. Don;t slack off - your labs will go to Hell in a Handbasket.

Sharon

Shannon S.
on 4/22/18 9:51 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Thanks! I won't. More than anything I want to be healthy.